Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

TinyPixi West Yorkshire

Just drawn my pattern on to my fabric for my very first bear making attempt and realised I'd given him 2 left arms and 2 upside down inner arms!! Oops..... glad i noticed my mistake before i cut him out!!!  bear_whistle

Us Bears Pennsylvania

As they say, "Measure twice.  Cut once!"   ;)

One time, when I was a kid, I was helping my dad fix the roof.  He carried the same board up and down the ladder three times.  Finally, he looked down from the roof and shouted, "I cut this darn board three times but it's STILL too short!"

bear_laugh

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

TinyPixi everyone does that at least once in their bear making time lol, don't worry about it at least you noticed before cutting it out lol

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

I once made two right legs...I put the joints in the same side of both limbs, didn't check that they were opposing. I already had the fur cut aroud the pin, so I had to make another leg. Very annoying. Luckily I still had mohair to work on.... bear_tongue

That's the worst isn't it?! When you run out of mohair so you know you can't make mistakes, and then you do lol. Everyone makes mistakes but the theory is the more you make bears and the less you repeat the mistakes, the less you will have any mistakes (good in theory hey :D). Good to know everyone has the same problems at one point or another bear_original

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Gabriele wrote:

That's the worst isn't it?! When you run out of mohair so you know you can't make mistakes, and then you do lol.

You are so totally right, Gabriele! bear_laugh Just yesterday I had to scrap a funny little bear I'd decided to make from a mystery piece of cut-off mohair. (Unusual stuff that I can't remember using before, and I've no idea where in the world it came from.) I already knew there wasn't quite enough of the fur so I'd planned a contrasting tummy, only to realize at the end that I'd cut out only one piece of back instead of two. bear_sad Sigh, and oh, well! On to the next project. :dance:

Becky

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

I've been doing this for almost 14 years now and I still do that sometimes!  Unfortunately, I usually don't notice until after I've cut it out - LOL!  Then, my "extra left arm" or whatever misfit piece is recycled and used for an ear or two or some other part that I've lost on my sewing room floor.  bear_original  It's all good!

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

I do stuff like that all the time.   bear_tongue   STILL!!!!  Lisa's right... it's all good... I usually don't end up liking the size of the ears I've cut, so I end up making new ones from my "whoopsie scraps."   bear_whistle   But when you are running low on a certain mohair and you forget to reverse the body for the second piece... THEN you are in trouble!   :doh:  I did that a couple of weeks ago!

Hugs,
Kim Basta

I do that with the ears too! I cut them out, sew them, then they're usually too big in which case I can just cut some length off, but when they're too small I feel like shouting lol.  I think I do that for nearly every bear! bear_laugh

I can live with accidentally going wrong with scrap pieces but when I have a really expensive "one and only" 1/4m and know exactly what I want to do with it, then make a mistake, I feel like throwing the bear making in a corner and going and sulking  :crackup:  :crackup:

At least I am not alone!

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

I've done this so many times, I finally got tired of making so many "scraps".  I now make all the pattern pieces when I am designing and cutting out my pattern, so when I do my layout on the fabric, there are 2 backs, 2 fronts, 4 legs, 4 arms, 2 side heads and I even do this with the paw pads.  I label each piece (example leg 1 outside, leg 1 inside with the joint dot, then leg 2 outside, leg 2 inside and so on).  I have not missed cutting out a piece or made 2 of the same since I started doing this!  I always cut my ears just a little larger than I think they should be and of course, there are 4 ear pattern pieces!  Takes a little longer when making the pattern, but for me it is well worth it!   bear_original

Carlyle Bear Co. Carlyle Bear Co.
Ft Myers FL

I normally lose an ear every few bears.  Not sure how it happens I cut all of my pieces out and pin them together and I'll only have one ear.  The first place I look is our grey tabby Davey Crockett since he loves to "collect" bits of mohair.  He thinks that he is helping so it is hard to get too mad at him.  bear_tongue He believes that he is the "Company" part of Carlyle Bear Co.

Board footer