Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

6208667186_15d92f696f.jpg

So I went to the Goodwill Outlet to get some old clothes and straw hats because they we're having a Harvest Festival in our development and I'm in charge of helping the neighborhood kids make scarecrows.  While I'm there, they bring out a HUGE bin of toys.  They do it pretty often and there were already two sitting there with HUGE plastic Barbie houses, Little Tykes Kitchen sets, etc. and they were filled to the brim.  I wander over and no, I'm not kidding, I stick my hand in and pull out the vintage Steiff Bear.  Being use to working with mohair, I spied it with my little eye right off the bat.  I'd say (just from reading my Teddy Bear Encyclopedia) he's from the late 1950's/early 1960's because he has the wool felt paws - and he's BIG at about 16" with a growler.  When they made this particular bear in the 1970s, he was made in Austria and had a different paw pad material.  Now they charge $0.59 per pound for their toys at the outlet so he ended up costing me all of $0.20.  I paid $3.88 for the pumpkin!  If anyone knows more about him, please fill feel free to add - sometimes the guide books can be wrong.

Anyway, his name is Good Will (for obvious reasons) and he's thankful to have been adopted just before Thanksgiving. bear_original

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

bear_thumb
Oh Dear! Lisa, what a super find!!!!! You are so so lucky to have found him and adopted him. He looks like brand new. Plus he is so beautiful!
I cannot help you about his past life, though.

Enjoy you time with Good Will, and please, give him a huge hug from me!

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

joibear Tickled Pink Bears
Durango, Colorado

bear_thumb What an amazing find!!! I am sooo jealous!!!  bear_grin  bear_flower

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Wow!! What a great find!  such beautiful condition, and a lovely face. 
Joanne

boohbears Booh Bears
Glendale, Arizona
Website

Wow, Lisa, how wonderful!  I oftentimes wander over to look at the "toys" in hopes of finding a treasure but haven't lucked out yet and you got him for  .20 cents?!!  :dance:   I'm all smiles for you!   I think he's the "Steiff Original" - I don't see any examples on ebay of the 1950's version (to show you photos) but there are a couple remakes such as

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEIFF-ORIGINAL … 519bc76c9d-

the way his muzzle/face resembles the "Original" from the 1950's.
Hugs,
Janice

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Lisa,  yesterday I took advantage of Bears and Buds offer to have Ken Yenke look at a bear I found at an estate sale.  It only cost $10.00.  I was so happy with the info from him.  I posted that info in the thread in collector's corner.  It might be something to think about.

Joanne

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I have an early 1970s 'Original' teddy (around 15") and it sports the "made in Austria" paw pads.  Steiff_Original_bear_from_1970s.jpg

This scan is from Pauline Cockrill's "The Ultimate Teddy Bear Book".   Original_Steiff_1990_2.jpg

I'd say you got a super fantastic deal, Lisa!!

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Oh he's gorgeous- Even if he wasn't a Steiff! What a find.

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

Thanks everyone for all the kind words about little Good Will.  He was actually my second Steiff find at Goodwill.  At the retail store that sits next to the outlet, I found the largest Slo Turtle with it's ear tag and chest tag several Christmases ago.  They price their stuffed animals at 75 cents at the retail store but they were having a special - if you sung a Christmas song, they'd give it to you half price.  I belted out "Deck the Halls" or something and got him for 38 cents.  I was so thrilled that I knew they thought I was nuts!!!

I will try Ken Yenke through the link although I love seeing him in person.  It's so funny when you walk up to him with a vintage bear in good condition he gets so excited!  I had several of mine appraised by him when we were at the same shows and he is just a nice and very knowledgeable man.

Anyway, thanks for letting me share! bear_original

boohbears Booh Bears
Glendale, Arizona
Website

Sue Ann, I thought he was the "Original Teddy"!  Hers is the "Spittin' image" of yours - just needs a little more love!!
Hugs,
Janice

kallie214 Friends "Fur" Life Bears
Gig Harbor, WA.
Website

Wow! What an amazing find!!! Makes me wanna visit my local Goodwill again.....I ALWAYS donate, but rarely stop in and check things out. I did go a couple of days ago looking for some holiday items and I saw a lady walking around holding one of my son's old toys that we donated last week. You can't help but to smile when you see that...
Congrats on your new bear!!!

Bear hugs,

Kim

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

WOW...Jealous here!!!  Lenora and Jessie!

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA
kallie214 wrote:

Wow! What an amazing find!!! Makes me wanna visit my local Goodwill again.....I ALWAYS donate, but rarely stop in and check things out. I did go a couple of days ago looking for some holiday items and I saw a lady walking around holding one of my son's old toys that we donated last week. You can't help but to smile when you see that...
Congrats on your new bear!!!

Bear hugs,

Kim

I always have to walk through after I donate - it's about 30 minutes from my house so I feel like I have to after traveling that far!  I LOVE looking for old holiday items - holiday items, bears, dolls and books are a few of my favorites!

lovenshire wrote:

WOW...Jealous here!!!  Lenora and Jessie!

Aw! There are all sorts of treasures out there when you start looking around!  Really! bear_original

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

Board footer