Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

mebears M. E. Bears And Critters
Brisbane, Queensland
Website

008---Copy.JPGHi everyone!   I have been making my little doggies for 12 months now and the belguim synthetic has done the trick. I have been using a mixture of 1/4 inch and 3/8 inch long pile. BUT I have been asked to make a Pom  and feel the fur needs to be 1/2 inch long - maybe slightly longer.
I just love this synthetic - it looks and feels like real fur and the pile is woven closely together so when you trim areas shorter you don't see the backing.
Does ANYONE know where I can get this wonderful fur in the 1/2 inch length.......or if this fails is there a wonderfully dense mohair/alpaca in this longer  length?? I use white fur and colour with mixture of chalks  and acrylics.
My keeshond puppy above is just 4 inches tall.
I hope someone can help soon! HUGS Wendy xxx

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

Perhaps you could try tissavel fur? It is my favorite medium for making soft sculpture realistic animals and has been perfect so far..... I'm making a lion cub and loving the fur I'm using as it's very realistic and easily shaded, sculpted and scissor sculpted. Tissavel is very expensive though, depending on what kind you get etc. Hope this helps.

Brisbane, Queensland
Website

This fur sounds great but where do you buy it.....I have googled it and have come up with no shop that sells retail.
PLEASE can any one help??????
HUGS Wendy xxx

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

I sent you a PM Wendy bear_original

Brisbane, Queensland
Website

Many thanks for that!!!!

Brisbane, Queensland
Website

Hey everyone... I have spent hours surfing the net for Tissavel and beguim synthetics......where are all the shops that DO supply a plain white in 15 to 20 mm pile length. That is 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch??
PLEASE I am getting quite desperate,
HUGS Wendy xx

teeeej Brisbane

Have you tried Melissa at Art of the Teddy bears. She carries the woven back synthetics. But I think her longest white is 12 mm. She does have a longer cream white colour.

http://theartofteddybears.com/prestasho … ategory=24

Have you tried probear?. http://www.probear.com/com/shop/pi-1499 … tegoryId=7

thondra rosenheim / bayern
Website

i listed a few faux fur shops on my blog
on the left side the category free stuff ... then resources

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website
mebears wrote:

Hey everyone... I have spent hours surfing the net for Tissavel and beguim synthetics......where are all the shops that DO supply a plain white in 15 to 20 mm pile length. That is 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch??
PLEASE I am getting quite desperate,
HUGS Wendy xx

Kathy,
I think any seller that could get a hold of quality white fur 20mm and longer would make a fortune. I have inquiries almost every month and I'm in the same boat. The last time I ordered the supplier special ordered me 10 yds. from the manufacturer. But now they seem to be having problems with the quality of the fur, I had to return one order.
Karen
KJ Lyons Design

Brisbane, Queensland
Website

Thanks everyone! This is the best I have found - might help other artists too. Lani says some top artists use this white fur - it is a high quality and is selling fast! The pile is 15 to 20 mm long.....just what I was after!!!!!  GOOD LUCK to the others following this thread!
http://www.mohairbearmakingsupplies.co. … _pathway=0
I have just put my order in!
HUGS Wendy xxxxx

FrancesAnne Isle of Wight

Wendy I made a bear just before Christmas with the fur that you've just ordered.  It's REALLY lovely - so, so soft & densely woven - I'm sure you won't be disappointed.  BTW  I just love your little dogs!

Brisbane, Queensland
Website

Thanks Frances!  bear_wub I have to be patient until it arrives across the BIG POND! I wonder now if it is available in black and gold too!!!!
HUGS to everyone
Wendy xxxxxxx

NanaPat Posts: 12

I have a quantity of Tissavel fur still on the frame and some remnants, it's what I would call a winter white and has a pile approximately 15 mms, I used it for making bridal wear for my daughter's wedding.
Knowing the difficulty I experienced to source this and having read this thread, if anyone is interested in purchasing some of the fabric I'd be happy to oblige.
Can't see me using it for anything other than making the replica polar bear for my friend as mentioned in my introduction.
Hope I'm not contravening any rules of the forum by offering this.
Pat

Board footer