Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

gugu"s teddies gugu;s teddies
durban

Hello Ladies
My daughter brought back from USA packets of Kiddies Kool Aid but it has SUGAR in
Have any of you used this for dyeing?  Is there anything i can add to the mixture , perhaps vinegar or salt to take out the suger contnet when im boiling the powder up . Your help suggestions would be great as i am so dissapointed have been waiting so long to get stuck in to dye with Kool Aid

Thanks Ladies
Hugs Paula

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

Paula, I have no suggestion, but if you find no solution, I bought kool aid with no sugar on the internet, from a british site. It's quite cheap, and I already tested it. It works great!

http://www.koolaidworld.com

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

If Francy had good luck with it, I'd say go ahead and try it - Just be sure to wash/rinse the fabric really well when you're done to get all that sugar out.  bear_happy  The color is the same, I suppose.

Becky

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website
dangerbears wrote:

If Francy had good luck with it, I'd say go ahead and try it - Just be sure to wash/rinse the fabric really well when you're done to get all that sugar out.  bear_happy  The color is the same, I suppose.

Becky

Becky, I used the one without sugar added....I just suggested a site where she can get the unsweetened version if she doesn't feel sure to try the 'sugar' one.  bear_original

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Francy wrote:

Becky, I used the one without sugar added

Oops - I misunderstood. In that case - Paula, you'll be the pioneer! (I'd still give it a try - maybe on a small piece of mohair.)

Becky

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I would still try it too.  Like Becky said just wash it out well after dyeing.

Joanne

Us Bears Pennsylvania

The stuff is so cheap! It costs a dollar for five packets.
Somebody could mail you some Kool-Aid and the postage would be more expensive than the product.

How much do you need?

durban

Oh your ALL SO GREAT
I am going to try the sugar based one il;l let you know how it turns out,wow im looking at the price 5pks for a Dollar my daughter paid more than that,
I f it doesnt work my Daughters Sisterinlaw will be in  SA in March im sure shell be happy to bring for me.
Once again THANKYOU I just hope it doesnt come out like a toffee apple (just haveing a blonde moment)
Hugs to All

Us Bears Pennsylvania

The original stuff comes in little foil packets about 10 cm. tall.
I pay a dollar for five of them in my grocery store.  If you look for them on discount, I bet you could get them even cheaper.
I bet you could put ten of them into a Tyvek envelope and mail them.  They'd cost $2 at retail but I bet it would cost that much in postage to mail them.

For the sweetened stuff, you're paying extra for all the sugar.  Plus, you're paying for the packaging.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I remember buying some when I was in Texas as they had flavours we could not get here in Canada at the time. I bought about 300 packs and the silly clerk at the grocery store had to scan each packet separate, it was a real pain in the butt. Although the mango koolaid made great fabric.  It is inexpensive and a lot of fun to play with.

durban

I really do appreciat all your comments,I will give it a go ill let you all know how it pans out might just have a new product when ive finished, fur candy floss HA HA
God bless
Paula

NanaPat Posts: 12

Has anyone used Kool-Aid for dying faux fur and if so was it successful?

Pat

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

Pat,  I don't think it works on sinthetics, because it works on the proteins of fabrics- 'animal fabrics- (silk and mohair have proteins) but for example it doesn't work on cotton because there are no proteins in it. This at least is what I have read on the subject....

Francesca wrote:

Pat,  I don't think it works on sinthetics, because it works on the proteins of fabrics- 'animal fabrics- (silk and mohair have proteins) but for example it doesn't work on cotton because there are no proteins in it. This at least is what I have read on the subject....

Ahh, thank you for that. saves me going down the route of trying and discarding! I've only ever previously used 'dyes' for clothing items that were either 'washed out looking' although the base fabric remained decent, or something that had outlived its fashion colour time, ( I do have a tendency to hang onto things that fit and I think suit me).

I was hoping to find an easy and successful way of colouring fur fabric whilst retaining the quality and lustre of the same. I think that's a bit of a pipe dream though.

Pat

Fallenrose near Cologne

I wish I could get Kool aid here in Germany, I'd love to try dying my mohair and also the yarn I'm knitting with. Haven't found out yet if there is any substitute I can use here in germany - and buying Kool Aid online is just too expensive! bear_sad

Not sure if this helps, but it's worth a try.  http://www.koolaidworld.com/en/26-shipping-upgrades

Pat

Fallenrose near Cologne

thanks for the link, I'll look into it. Do you know which of those are best for dying?

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

Before I bought kool-aid on the internet (see previous post if you are interested in the site), I found this very helpful chart, where they give you the name of the most famous kool-aid flavour and connect it to the colour you would get on mohair....interesting!

http://www.socknitters.com/Tips/KAcolorchart.htm

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Looking at this site, (it is a great site)  there are many flavors here that I have never seen.  I live in the US where Kool Aide is plentiful.

Here is another site which gives you the more easily to come by flavors on silk.  I think that since silk is a protein same as mohair it will be similar.   Remember though Kool Aide does not dye the backing, only a little bit.

Joanne

http://www.gerberadesigns.com/triedandtrue/?p=390

Fallenrose near Cologne

Francesca, Joanne, thank you very much for those sites, they will definitely help me choose what colors I should get.

Board footer