Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

HELP!!!
I need a new sewing machine! After 30+ years my old Husquvarna, that I expected would last me a lifetime, has developed problems that apparently cannot be fixed. I have NO idea what to buy now - don't really want to spend a fortune but I DO need a good basic machine - something simple that won't take me forever to learn how to operate! I've heard horror stories about how complicated some of the new electronic  machines are - don't want that at all!!
Would love to hear what others have for machines and what they like/dislike about them.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Hi Edie,  I use a Singer Simple, and that is just what it is.  Does all the basic stuff, sews great, goes over dense mohair.  It was inexpensive. I bought it at Walmart.  My last machine was a very basic Brother, I loved that one too.  Had it for 30 years, it would sew through anything.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Have several Janome machines here , like them all. They are pretty good work horses and never a complaint. I think Joanne is right though singers are really good too and we can get them here at Walmart for I think a hundred dollars or maybe just a bit more. You can also get the brother at Walmart as well for under a hundred I do believe.  No harm is trying them and if they don't do what you want then you take them back.

hugs

Shane

ScaliWagGrrs ScaliWagGrrs
Denver, Colorado
Website

I am very curious about what everyone else uses as well as I am planning on getting a new machine myself. I have a Singer that I got at Wal Mart about 3 years ago that I am NOT very happy with. I saw a heavy duty Singer a few weeks ago at Joanne's that was on sale that I thought I might try until one of the sales ladies told me she didn;t think Singers were much good. She said most of them are returned. She told me about a shop that sells good machines--new and used. Unfortunatly it was closed that day and I haven't had the chance to get back over there. I don't want anything fancy, just a good basic machine that can handle the mohair and heavy thick synthetics I sometimes use.
Beth

Densteds Densteds
Website

Hi Edie,
I have a Pfaff quilt expression 2044, I've had it for about 7-8 years, it's a good machine and has integral dual feed, it feeds from top and bottom, you don't need a walking foot and will take very thick fabric. Fingers crossed, I've not had a problem so far.

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Hi Edie, bear_flower

Sorry to hear about your poorly sewing machine.  You haven't said what was wrong with your machine, but I went through a similar situation a couple of years ago.  I took my lovely sewing machine of 35 years to be serviced as it had developed a problem.  I was told that there was a certain problem with the machine that could not be fixed and would no longer be able to do stitches normally.  Well, with nothing to lose, my hubby and I decided to take the machine apart to see what was causing the problem (I love dismantling things to see how they work!).  We soon found out what was causing the problem and set about correcting it.  I am pleased to report that my dear old machine is still alive and kicking and producing brilliant machining.  This doesn't say much for the authorised Service Engineers who were recommended to be able to "sort out any problem" and who basically told us a pack of lies! If it's purely a mechanical problem with your machine, chances are you will be able to get it mended!! bear_thumb

I also own one of the "all-singing-and-all-dancing" sewing machines that is meant to do everything under the sun, (Bernina) but certain stitches are not a patch on my dear old machine which I still use for all my bear work.

Hope you have some luck Edie, but it really is worth taking a look at your dear old friendly machine, it may just be a simple problem like ours. Plus don't forget, these shops are only tooooooooo happy for you to purchase a brand new machine from them!!

Hugs

Marilyn   bear_flower

Us Bears Pennsylvania

The Singer Sewing Machine Company was bought out in 2004.  Now they are owned by the same company that makes Pfaff and Husqvarna/Viking.  I'm willing to bet that Singer machines are now basically "cookie cutter" copies of the Pfaf and Husky machines only with different labels on them.

One thing about modern machines compared to their older counterparts is that most of them now have plastic gears inside them instead of steel ones.  Yes, the machines are lighter, they run quieter and they are cheaper to make but they don't operate with the same kind of precision and durability that their older counterparts used to.  As much as salesmen claim that plastic gears are "just as good as steel," if you want a machine that will last, you'll need steel.  That's just all there is to it.

If I was looking for a sewing machine, I'd look for a commercial model.

There's also a company called "Bonis" which makes sewing machines specifically for sewing fur.  They look a lot different than most people imagine when they think "sewing machine" but they are the best machines for sewing fur or plush material.

kellydean k e l l y d e a n & c o m p a n y
Narrowsburg, New York
Website

laughing here because I think 30 years pretty much IS a lifetime for a piece of equipment.  I think about all the computers I've gone through since 1993 and the graveyard of broken and outdated electronics that litter my house, 30 years seems like forever ;-)

that being said, I've had a huskquvarna for about 12 years, and have never had a single problem, not even a thread jam, so I'd but another husky in a flash

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

Funny - I was just thinking about asking this question myself!  My sewing machine history is basically a Singer Athena 2000 that took me about 18 years to wear out.  Next came a very expensive Phaff that sang, danced AND pirouetted, but  for only 10 years before the housing for the shuttle race was so loose the shuttle race couldn't stay in place and the machine wouldn't sew.  I now have a Brother Embroidery machine - cost around 400.00 US.  It is about 2 years old and it sews okay - biggest problem I find is that the stitch length is now starting to become irregular.  I will probably get another very inexpensive Brother or Singer next - I don't seem to use all the fancy stuff anymore!  At least if one of those needs replacing, it won't be as painful on the wallet!

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Marilyn, that is exactly what my husband wants to do with my machine but so far I've been afraid to let him as I can still sew somewhat on this one and don't have a spare! The problem with it is that all of a sudden the needle wouldn't stay in the centre position but moves over to the right and stays there. So it still sews but it makes it harder to see your stitching line.
When the repairman (and he only repairs machines from his home, doesn't sell them) took it apart he said it was obvious the machine had been dropped and there was a lot of damage inside. I haven't dropped it and it hasn't been out of my sewing room in over 6 years so if someone did drop it would have been before that so I can't figure out how it could have sewn fine for all that time and just suddenly developed this problem! When I get another machine, I will let my husband play around with this one and see what he can do!

Kelly, I would get another Husqvarna in a minute except that they are expensive and a friend who just replaced hers says she can't figure out how to work the new one and has been back and forth to the dealers as it is so complicated. Haven't had a chance to investigate but will have to get looking once the weather warms up and see if they still make simpler machines or only the fancy electronic ones - which I don't want!

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Hello, Edie
I use an industrial Singer Machine 31-15 with table made about 1950. My Belgium Faux fur can be very thick and I do sew leather. I marvel at the amazingly milled steel parts in this machine. Real craftsmanship went into the making of these Industrial machines. Over sixty years and as far as I know only the bobbin has been replaced. You can get one for only a couple of hundred but you have to look around, locally. If you're lucky you'll have some sewing factories not to far away that have gone out of business and are selling machines. I got mine when I was living in NYC during the 1980's.
Karen
KJ Lyons Design

Us Bears Pennsylvania
KJ Lyons wrote:

I got mine when I was living in NYC during the 1980's.

Been haunting the Garment District, I presume...  bear_happy  bear_thumb

thondra rosenheim / bayern
Website

i got myself a very cheap bernina power and stretch 3 or 4 years ago
it does all i need, i just got me a walking foot for making quilts...
other then this i just sew straight back and forth and this /\/\ stitch :D

but if i would need a new one, i would be tempted to get and try one of those old  featherweights i see sometimes adverted on facebook

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Hi Edie,

I'm back again!!  One of the problems with my machine (which I was told could not be mended by the so-called service man) was similar to yours, the needle position had shifted to the right.  I forgot to say earlier that my machine is by Frister + Rossman.  What had happened was that the whole unit housing the needle and further up the machine had moved so we took my machine apart and slowly worked out how it could be taken apart to adjust this fault.  It didn't take long to see the problem and solve the mystery and my machine is working fine.  If you or your husband are good at fixing things, then have a go at tackling it, if nothing else you will be able to understand the workings of the machine by having a good look and will soon know if you have been told a whole load of nonsense.  You can always put it back together again in the same way. 

Go on - you know you want to!!  He!

Hugs

Marilyn bear_flower

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Both of my Singer machines are from the 1950s - a dressmaker's model and a Featherweight. I'm just saying. (Wish they still built them like that. bear_original )

Becky

Waterloo, Ontario

Us Bears
There's also a company called "Bonis" which makes sewing machines specifically for sewing fur.  They look a lot different than most people imagine when they think "sewing machine" but they are the best machines for sewing fur or plush material.

We have one of these machines for sewing fur (real fur) I can say they are extremely difficult and dangerous to work with and we don't use ours. They do not sew like a normal machine at all and they do not stitch like a regular sewing machine either. They are used in the fur industry and ours is about 50 yrs old and solid and all metal gears and workings.  TO much of a pain to work with.  I would not recommend them to anyone.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I have a janome 1600p which is tough as old boots...nothing fancy but has never let me down.. Weighs a ton..no plastic which is rare on a newish machine.
I also have a Husqvarna Designer SE which does everything bar take the he dog or a walk and it's just awful.. It hates sewing mohair ..and keeps breaking down. Plasticky...and cost me an arm and a leg. I know that Husqvarna has a great name and it wouldn't stop me getting another..bu not one of these all singing and dancing types because it think the more they do the more that can break down.
I love my Janome...

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

If you can get a Pfaff, that is what I would do. I have a Viking which is good but I wish I spent the money on a Pfaff.

Us Bears Pennsylvania
Little Bear Guy wrote:

We have one of these machines for sewing fur (real fur) I can say they are extremely difficult and dangerous to work with and we don't use ours. They do not sew like a normal machine at all and they do not stitch like a regular sewing machine either. They are used in the fur industry and ours is about 50 yrs old and solid and all metal gears and workings.  TO much of a pain to work with.  I would not recommend them to anyone.

I have never used a Bonis but I have messed with one that wasn't running to see how they work and I have watched people use them.  Yes, they are a different animal!

They don't have a flat bed.  You hold the materials to be sewn vertically and run it between two pinch rollers.  The needle moves horizontally.  There's a "dancer" arm that pulls the thread around to make the overlock stitch.  They have two speeds:  "Off" and "fast."  They are definitely not an item to be used without training.

They are, pretty much, a standard in commercial/industrial operations that sew leather, fur or other heavy materials.

The neat thing about them is that they have guides to set the width of the stitch.  There are attachments to push the fur out of the path of the needle as it sews.  There are air blower attachments that blow the fur out of the way so the user can see where he's sewing.  They are all metal, they are rock solid and they'll run twelve hours per day for fifty years without missing a beat.

They also make models specifically designed to sew plush material or faux fur.

While I don't think anybody here would run out and buy one, I mention the Bonis for academic purposes.  I think, with the number of people at this website who work with fur, leather and plush, these machines are something that people might be interested in seeing even if they don't end up using one.

valewoodbears Valewood Bears
Yorkshire
Website

I am a Bernina fan. I have had loads of different makes and my Bernina is always the favorite, I sewed on them at school years ago and they still have them in a lot of schools, I also belong to a sewing group in the village and they have 4 machines, all Berninas. They are brilliant.

Pauline

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

I've got a Bernina. It might be old but it's still going strong. Mine is an ex-school machine  bear_wub

Kidsandteddy The kids and teddy too
Lincoln Ca.

I have a Janome and this is my second one...Love love love this machine, it is very sturdy and does everything I want it to. I recently bought a Bernina for a backup and love it as well. Both are great machines !!!

Waterloo, Ontario

US Bears, 

Yes I realize you were only posting it for the academic purpose, I wasn't meaning that you were endorsing it as one that someone should buy  bear_grin  . I was just mentioning our experience with having one. I also have an industrial sewing machine and although it will sew through anything they are similar to the fur machine in that it has two gears stop and super fast. There is a trick in working with them and running the large peddle, you have to use both feet, it scares the daylights out of me and I don't like using it. I am sure with some practice it would be ok, great for sewing garments but with sewing bears and having so many twist and turns it's not practical for us to use it for that. So I will likely sell it in the near future.

hugs

Shane

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

I use a old Singer sewing machine: Singer 15B made in 1956 and really love it. Of course, it just do the basic stitch, but with an added element, I can do zig-zig stitches too. This is all I need for teddy bear making. I also have another Singer machine, not as old, a 931C, but it does not accept to sew leather.

I found my sewing machines at flea markets.

I cannot advice you about modern machines, sorry. My mother in law uses a Bernina and loves it.

Some time ago, on this forum, people discussed a lot about Singer Featherweight machines and said how extra super fantastic they are. These are also old machines.

Your choice will really depend on what you are after : what kind of fabrics you will sew with it, how many different stitches you will want to be able to do, if you also want to use it for machine embroidery...

Good luck!

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Us Bears Pennsylvania
lapousmor wrote:

I use a old Singer sewing machine: Singer 15B made in 1956 and really love it.

My best camera is a year older than that:  Rolleiflex Automat model 2.8C.  Made in 1955.  (Verified from the serial number.)  It works as well as the day it was new and it'll beat the pants off any digital camera you can put up against it!

Older equipment is often the best equipment but the Rolleiflex is a lot like the Bonis sewing machine.  You have to know how it works and you have to be trained how to use it before you can make it work right.

Board footer