Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

chelsea California

I'm still completely new to both bear-making and sewing in general and want to get a better grasp on basic bear making techniques. Since my main interest is minis, I bought How to Make Enchanting Miniature Teddy Bears and it's been helpful but I get the impression it assumes some prior bearmaking, or at least sewing experience.

I'm very much a visual learner and have trouble understanding text descriptions of sewing stitches and other processes, so I'm trying to find a good book (or even an online guide) that provides clear visual instructions in the form of diagrams and/or photographs of as many of the steps as possible. I can read and re-read a description but it never makes as much sense to me as just seeing a picture of what I'm supposed to do. There are so many bear-making books out there (and some are very pricey) so I wanted to ask what book you guys would recommend for detailed visual instructions and someone with no sewing experience?

bearlady13 Posts: 177

Try some of these on line sites they might help.  Also these are tips and techniques on the site you are on that may make it clearer.
http://doit101.com/crafts/bearmaking.html
http://www.bearycheap.com/beginners%20t … structions

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Chelsea, I think that most books are going to assume some sewing experience, but the web is rife with tutorials (many of them videos) on basic sewing techniques such as doing a back stitch, securing a knot, etc.

Though I never found one book that answered all my questions, I learned a lot in the beginning from Merrett and Stephens' Encyclopedia of Teddy-Bear Making Techniques, which has many, many good photos and diagrams.

Good luck!

Becky

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

My favourite by a mile is Ted Mentens Teddy Bear Studio...clear, simple and easy....

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

Ted Menten wins hands down. If you go to Amazon.com you can check on used books.  I got a dandy one fairly cheap and when it came it looked like it was brand new.  I love it!~

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

I love Ted Menten's book as well. Very easy to read and follow.

chelsea California

Thanks for the recommendations! I decided to order Teddy Bear Studio and The Encyclopedia of Teddy-Bear Making Techniques. I threw in Masterpieces in Miniature by Gerry Grey for good measure since I've been looking for a collector book and needed that free Amazon shipping. bear_happy

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Have fun!!!!

Board footer