Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

gugu"s teddies gugu;s teddies
durban

Hello Ladies and Gents
Do any of you use PayPal to purchase goods outside of your own country,My freind is looking to us Paypal as the supplier in USA will only accept this form of payment.Onher reading up the doooos and donts she is very worried about the fraud on her credit card there doesnt seem to be any protection also read article re the blocking of accounts by payoal (which of coursr we all know is illegal
Please advise whether she should use or not from your exp
Best of Hugs Paula

Stitch SanguineCreations
Wales

I've paid (and sold) for items from the USA, I'm in the UK. Also from other countries and never a problem with paypal.

Densteds Densteds
Website

Hi,

I've been using paypal since 2003,  both to buy and sell, as for buying it's one of the safest ways to buy internationally, because you don't have to give the seller your credit card details.

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

I only ever use Paypal to buy/sell if I can, it protects all my card details from the seller, and I've never had a problem with money either coming in or going out.  I think I've been using it since about 2003/4 ish too.

Us Bears Pennsylvania

I went to my bank and got a second account which is separate from my regular bank account.  With it, I got a second ATM/debit card with a completely different account number than the one I regularly use.

This account and card are used ONLY for internet transactions.  I only keep about $50 in the account at any time, just enough to keep the account from going broke.  When I need to buy something from the internet, I transfer the correct amount of money into the account and use my special debit card.

This way, if there is some kind of on-line fraud, my regular bank account is insulated.  The most anybody can get is the money I intended to spend plus, maybe the extra $50 I kept in the account for safety.

This is the card I have associated with my PayPal account, too.  If PayPal screws up, my regular bank account is still in the clear.

I suggest that everybody who does business on-line with a debit/ATM/credit card have a second account to protect them, too.   bear_thumb

joibear Tickled Pink Bears
Durango, Colorado
Us Bears wrote:

I went to my bank and got a second account which is separate from my regular bank account.  With it, I got a second ATM/debit card with a completely different account number than the one I regularly use.

This account and card are used ONLY for internet transactions.  I only keep about $50 in the account at any time, just enough to keep the account from going broke.  When I need to buy something from the internet, I transfer the correct amount of money into the account and use my special debit card.

This way, if there is some kind of on-line fraud, my regular bank account is insulated.  The most anybody can get is the money I intended to spend plus, maybe the extra $50 I kept in the account for safety.

This is the card I have associated with my PayPal account, too.  If PayPal screws up, my regular bank account is still in the clear.

I suggest that everybody who does business on-line with a debit/ATM/credit card have a second account to protect them, too.   bear_thumb

I've used Paypal since 2001-ish with no problems.  But the comment by Us Bears is a very good idea. . .  bear_thumb

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

I also have been using a second bank account with very little balance and a debit card, but I use it not only for international, but for USA as well.  This is the account I use to back up Paypal as well as some of the other larger companies I deal with frequently when I want to pay for something and not charge it on my credit card.  This has worked for me since 2006 when I first started with Paypal.  I have never had any problems.

Geralye Belper, Derbyshire

I've never managed to get a paypal account working to buy anything.  I've never tried to sell anything.

I had thought of getting a separate bank account specially for internet use, but haven't yet done it as I've managed to avoid using paypal so far.

cheers,
G

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub PayPal is the way to go, no problems with it.  I use it not only for bears but many companies prefer paypal for payment. 
Hugs pat bear_flower

Us Bears Pennsylvania

I learned the trick with a second bank account when I was a field service technician for movie theaters.  I did a lot of traveling for my job.  I stayed in hotels, bought gas and paid for job-associated bills with that account.  When I turned in my receipts at the end of a service call, the money was reimbursed to my bank account by direct deposit.

My employer never had to worry about issuing advance money to pay my bills.  Any time they needed a list of my expenditures, all I had to do was print out a bank statement and send it in.  I never had to worry about cashing reimbursement checks because the money was put back via direct deposit.  It allowed me to keep my business expenses separate from my personal expenses and, best of all, I never had to worry about losing money.

When I started using the internet to buy things on-line, I just used that same trick.  bear_thumb

durban

Thankyou all for your input this will put her mind at ease also the opening of a second bank account is a good idea,im going to go into paypal myself and see what its all about,we get a little jubius in SA as there is so much fraud going on with bank accounts
Lots of hugs to you all Paula

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Yes, we don't realize some of the freedoms that we take for granted here in the States. Even that phrase just rolls off our tongues..
When the Chamberlains were purchasing fabrics from me, they had to have a business invoice mailed to them first from me, showing their requested amount of goods, the price they'd be paying and the shipping fees, to take into their bank in order for their bank to release their own money to them to allow it to leave So Africa. (sigh)

We in the States are so used to crossing State borders, country borders, language borders, just doing whatever we please as if we are entitled to do so by dint of being a human being... we have NO idea how most of the rest of our fellow inhabitants of this same planet live.
Internet interaction and travel is certainly very broadening, if one is willing to listen and learn.

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

We also have a second account linked to paypal and specifically for online purchases and transactions, it's a fantastic idea which we learned from a knowledgeable relative. It takes the stress out of buying and selling online.

I also use paypal and have never had a problem with them.

durban

Thankyou Bobbie for your comments we just have to be very aware
Thankyou to evertyone for your input

Board footer