Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Tatty Bears South Australia

Hi All,
        Yesterday I went to a craft shop 5 minutes away from were I work on my way home, only just found out it was there, and was amazed, I picked up a pack of t-pins a set of felt nose templates, some eyelids and something I have been really wanting a cotter pin turner.
The turner is a mini and it seems to fit my 25mm sets that I use, but I have seen online that they make a medium and large cotter pin turner too,

What size cotter pin sets would they be used for???

As so far I have only made small bears, my largest being 12 inches.

How large in bear size would you go using only cotter pins? Are they not strong enough for certain size bears?? 

I suppose what I'm saying is.... Is it worth getting a medium and large cotter pin turner????????

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

Hi Sheree,
Personally I prefer to use lock-nuts and bolts when the bear gets too large because as you mentioned, the cotter pins aren't strong enough and possibly won't last for bigger bears. Lock-nuts and bolts are much stronger for larger bears and hold everything together better.

I have a small and medium cotter pin turner, mostly I only need the small one though as I prefer to make bears from 8" down to about 6" and sometimes even smaller. I don't use the medium cotter pin turner very often, however mum (Robyn) uses it a lot as she makes larger bears. When her bears get over 14" though she uses lock-nuts and bolts.

You might still want a medium and large cotter pin turner if you want to make wobble-neck joints in larger bears...... It depends on what you're planning to make.

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

I don't use a cotter pin turner as it's no good for turing a crown joint and I don't like the spiral turn a cotter pin turner makes. I feel a crown joint is more secure and you get a better "spring" against the washer. I use a pair of long nosed pliers, a small pair for mini pins and a larger pair for bigger pins. Anything above about 10" gets locnuts and bolts, for the limbs and a grub screw for the head (unless it's a wobble).

Board footer