Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

PaeoniaDrop Posts: 48
Website

I tried my hand at creating a very small piggy. Had to remake the pattern a few times because I wanted her to be both chubby and small. I dyed her mohair myself

VDayValentina.png
valentina_the_pig_by_shadowedporcelain-d4ovimt.jpg

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub Honestly?  It is a perfect little pig and I love it.  I can not make these tiny things, my hands are too big.  But you have done yourself proud.  Thanx for sharing.
Hugs Pat bear_flower

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Cute! She reminds me of a furry little piggy bank. bear_happy

If I were going to tweak the design at all. I might want a more defined snout, but that's a matter of taste, and I think it would require a gusset, and maybe some needle sculpting too. All in all, she's precious as she is. bear_wub

Becky

Website
dangerbears wrote:

Cute! She reminds me of a furry little piggy bank. bear_happy

If I were going to tweak the design at all. I might want a more defined snout, but that's a matter of taste, and I think it would require a gusset, and maybe some needle sculpting too. All in all, she's precious as she is. bear_wub

Becky

I tried to make a gusset for it, but I was having a hard to sizing the nose piece properly. I think I'll have to work on that. Thank you.

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

What a sweet little piggy! I agree, as a matter of personal taste I'd like to see her nose nose become more obvious since pigs have such cute noses, I don't think you'd have to have a head gusset to achieve this - just some needle sculpting. Or perhaps you could needle felt the nose next time? So that it became more obvious. But this is personal taste - you might have been looking for a small feminine nose for her so in that case her nose is perfect bear_original

She's a gorgeous pig! Well done!

thondra rosenheim / bayern
Website

how "big" is she ?

she looks very small, but cant really tell from the pictures :D
and i too would make the nose a little bit more prominent

Website
thondra wrote:

how "big" is she ?

she looks very small, but cant really tell from the pictures :D
and i too would make the nose a little bit more prominent

She's 3.5 inches/9 cm long.

Thank you everyone for your kind comments.

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears wrote:

What a sweet little piggy! I agree, as a matter of personal taste I'd like to see her nose nose become more obvious since pigs have such cute noses, I don't think you'd have to have a head gusset to achieve this - just some needle sculpting. Or perhaps you could needle felt the nose next time? So that it became more obvious. But this is personal taste - you might have been looking for a small feminine nose for her so in that case her nose is perfect bear_original

She's a gorgeous pig! Well done!

I'm still new to bear making so I'm not exactly 100% sure what needle sculpting is, but if it is using minute thread to pull things in certain ways, it was very difficult for me to attach eyes because the head and body are one piece. I had to put in another piece of fabric inside so I'd have somewhere to knot the thread without making it too noticeable

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
PaeoniaDrop wrote:

I'm still new to bear making so I'm not exactly 100% sure what needle sculpting is, but if it is using minute thread to pull things in certain ways, it was very difficult for me to attach eyes because the head and body are one piece. I had to put in another piece of fabric inside so I'd have somewhere to knot the thread without making it too noticeable

You've got the idea, though "minute" thread isn't required. I use doubled strong thread that matches the backing and take small stitches - usually several of them - back and forth through the area I'm sculpting.

For knotting, you end up using the friction of the stuffing, mostly. Let's say I'm sculpting the eye sockets so I want to take several stitches back and forth between the eye spots. I'd knot my thread then insert it using a long needle going in the back of the head and coming out at one of the sockets. I'd pull the knot into the fabric, but it would get stuck firmly in the stuffing. Then I'd take my stitches back and forth through the bridge of the nose - each time reducing the space between the eye sockets.

After taking my last stitch, I'd point the needle toward the back of the head again (or right through the pig's body, in this case). Then I'd make a knot close to the body and put the needle back through the hole where it exited, exiting somewhere else. Doing that a couple of time secures the thread firmly in the stuffing.

Whew! bear_grin

Becky

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

I agree with others...I used to raise pigs and their noses are very prominent.  The use them to dig huge tunnels if you let them!

Miss_Adia_Katarina Posts: 4

I think she is wonderful the way she is. I love your little piggy!  bear_wub

Tiggbears Tigg Bears
Dorset, England

Very cute indeed!   bear_flower

Federbaerchen Federbaerchen
Munich - Germany

Oh I like your little piggy, she is sooo cute!

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

Oh my, that pig is terrible.  I think you should box him up and send him to me!!!
You know I am just kidding...the piggie is beautiful.

Board footer