Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

student bearmaker Northern Ireland

It's my old bug bear again, how to get that perfect nose. I would like to do an oval shape and wonder how to get those nice rounded sides (..) Is it to do with the needle entry and exit points at the left and right edges? I read a tutorial on noses that said not to move the needle entry and exit points until the area became congested with thread and that would create a nice curved "dome" shape in the middle. I'm not exactly sure what this means so any advice on how to achieve those perfect oval shaped noses, examples of which are often shown on this great forum,would be much appreciated.  bear_sad

thondra rosenheim / bayern
Website

uhm ... well if you stitch in and out at the same position for a cupply of times, the thread doesnt lay above each other ... they lay next each other and also above ... so you get nice rounden edges ... to both sides, and to the top

which would be a perfekt nose, if held small ...
but if you need stitches between the 2 edge stitches, i dont know how to do them, to get them just as high without bulgin to the side too ...

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
student bearmaker wrote:

I would like to do an oval shape and wonder how to get those nice rounded sides

Ovals are tricky. Try stitching a football shape (American football, that is!), so it will be narrow at both ends and thicker/wider in the middle. Make sure there are no big "jumps" from one stitch to the next - keep increasing or decreasing very gradually.
When you're done, bring the thread from left to right (or right to left) above the stitches, curving over the top, and take another big stitch below, curving under the bottom. That should give the illusion of near perfection! (I'd definitely use a felt template if I were attempting an oval.)

Becky

student bearmaker Northern Ireland

Thanks for the helpful advice and tips folks  bear_original

Board footer