Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

LitWit Posts: 298

We all know Winnie-the-Pooh, but are there any other famous teddy bears? I stumbled across "Polar, the Titanic bear" the other day:

http://www.polarthetitanicbear.com/Pola … About.html

and subsequently ordered the book from Paperbackswap.com.

Anybody know of any others?

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

I read a story "Dougal, the Garbage Dump Bear" to kids when I do a Teddy Bear Stuff-your-own workshop. It is a cute story of a bear rescued at the dump. I believe it is based on a true tale. Dougal lives in Australia......I do not have a stuffed Dougal, maybe I should make my own version................

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

I just answered this post but for some reason I see my post has gone missing....? Anyway, I LOVE Dougal the garbage dump bear! That is one of my favourite books. I currently have a group of bears I've collected sitting up on a book shelf with that book open in front of them as if they're reading it. It's such a special book.

Love the look of the polar bear that survived the Titanic's sinking too, I find anything Titanic-related fascinating but the bear story sounds so gorgeous and special now I want to find that book too lol.

I don't know about "famous" but I love the "Velveteen Rabbit" story it always inspires me to create bears and animals.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Paddington, of course, and Sooty - who I believe was a puppet-bear TV character in the UK, right?

Becky

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I have a book - In Praise of Teddy Bears by Philippa Waring - that lists many 'celebearities' (as she calls the more famous bears).  The ones I was familiar with are: The Roosevelt Bears, Teddy-B and Teddy-G; Corduroy; Mishka; Paddington; Pooh; Rupert; Sooty; and Smokey.  There were more but I'd never heard of them.

Board footer