Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Tatty Bears South Australia

Hi All,
        A few months ago I bought 1/8 metre of mohair to make a 8 inch bear, when I cut out the pattern I THOUGHT I would have enough fabric to make two bears until I stuffed up the head TWICE.
The bear eventually came out lovely but I looked at the left over fabric and nearly cried, there was no way I was going to get another 8 inch bear out of this, so I just hid the left over fabric away.
Yesterday I was looking at my bear magazine and found a lovely pattern for a 4 inch bear and that got me wondering...... So I cut out the pattern, and..... OMG I even have enough left if I stuff up the head AGAIN!!!!

I have just fray stopped all the pieces before I attempt to cut it out, the glue is drying as I write this.

I am a bit worried about turning the pieces inside out, so if there is any advice you can give me on making mini bears ( is 4 inches classed as a mini? ) I would appreciate it greatly.

But most of all please wish me GOOD LUCK!!!

Oh! It just dawned on me.. Do I need a special kind of fur to make a mini???

Thanks

HeidiBears florida

Hi Sheree,
  How exciting that you are getting started on your next mini bear! I've only made a couple of them myself but here are a couple tips I know of. For turning its a good idea to use something like tweezers, I think this is the most difficult part of making a little bear but just be patient with it  bear_grin . If you have to maybe leave a little bit larger hole for turning, and make sure that your stitches are very secure. Usually I use a no fray fabric from sassys bears and fabrics , the fray check sometimes makes the fabric hard and difficult to turn. I can't wait to see your bear when you are done! I wish you the best of luck  :thumbsup:
    - Heidibears

karenaus Melbourne
Website

I'll second Heidi- make sure you leave a decent sized opening to turn through, a few more ladder stitches are worth it in the long run bear_grin
   Also on the tools, make sure you have good tools to do the job. For me it's hemostats/forceps for turning ( as well as stuffing) Make sure you lock them onto the *backing* of the fabric not just the pile"
    You're also on the right track by fray stopping, I'm guessing you're using the Leather Glue to fray stop with? Because that's what I'd recommend as well... So you're on the right track there bear_grin
    And also try and be as accurate in cutting and tracing as you can, a few mm out can make a difference when you go small. Good luck, I'm sure you'll do fab!

Tatty Bears South Australia

Thank you both,
The fabric has a VERY open weave and when I was stuffing the head the seam didn't hold, should I do a double row of stitches or just use smaller, tighter ones also I was thinking should I back the fur fabric with something?
Because it is such a small bear ( for me) should I maybe put fray stop over the whole of the backing, it is a pliable fray stop??

HeidiBears florida

Personally I would stay away from the fabrics that aren't tightly woven.. especially with a mini bear, I just find it more difficult to work with.. I always do a double row of stitches in areas that need to be stronger (please any mini bear experts out there correct me if im wrong!) and I wouldn't back the fabric with anything.. just because it would make it much harder to turn (if not impossible for me anyways) with a mini.. When stuffing a technique you might want to try if you arent already is to roll the stuffing between your fingers into a little ball and then stuff it.. this lets you fit more into a smaller space. Making such a small bear is definitely not an easy task, mistakes do happen, just keep trying and don't give up  bear_thumb !

Board footer