Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Tatty Bears South Australia

Hi All,
        I hate putting in the head gusset as I never know where it should begin on the nose. So my (silly) question is can I start putting the gusset in at the neck edge of the head pieces and the straight part of the gusset work my way up on both sides at the same time with a needle and thread on each side then when I get to the top work my way down the nose to the front neck??????

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

Sheree,
no question is silly here! bear_original
I think in teddy bear making, most things are not right or wrong, it depends on how best it works for you! If you have tried this technique and you feel comfortable with it, then go for it!

I tell you what is better for me, meaning that this is the way I feel I'm doing a better job.
1. I always sew by hand
2. first thing I put together the two sides of the head, sewing from neck base to nose top.
3. The gusset is always a symmetrical piece, if you imagine a line going through the middle of it vertically. I fold it in half and with a pencil I make a line in the middle of the nose part. This is where the gusset should attach to the nose seam that you have just finished sewing. I start from there and sew one side to the back of the head, and then the other side, always starting from the nose. It helps if you leave the gusset a little longer than needed, then you can trim it when you are done sewing.

I don't now if it is clear, I hope so....this works good for me, and I can keep symmetry very well.

teeeej Brisbane

I always like to centre the nose part of the gusset first. I find the centre of the nose part of the gusset by folding it in half and marking it. I then do a few small overcast stitches to attach it to the seam of the side head pieces. I find if I don't centre the head gusset I end up with a crooked nose. Then I usually sew from just above the eye on one side all the way around to neck. The I go back and finish the other side.

-----
Therese

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

I mark, match and pin the center gusset like Francy and Therese, and then mark, match and pin the eye spots on the gusset and side head pieces.  I start at the center nose and whip stitch one side of the gusset and head together, matching the seams, all the way to the neck.  Then I whip stitch the other side.  I finish with a hand or machine stitch, depending on the bear size.

Board footer