Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Tatty Bears South Australia

Hi All, bear_flower
I have just been sitting here for the last few hours sewing the body and head of my next bear when it just occurred to me...I HATE sewing, oh not this kind but I will put off forever sewing on a button or shortening a pair of jeans but I will rush through my housework and gladly spend hours creating a bear or doing embroidery, I suppose it's because when you have something beautiful to look at or the cutest little face looking at you when you have finished you get a thrill and a sense of accomplishment, I can't say I have ever got a thrill from sewing on a button. bear_grin

Conni Germany

bear_original  bear_grin And how much time goes lost with housework!

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

Since bears and friends (and other "hobbies") have taken over my life, my motto for housework is one I learned from my mother:  " I'll give it a lick and a promise!"  There seems to be many more licks than fulfilled promises!   bear_flower

Fairybear Wagga Wagga

How funny!  My mother always says "How can you sew these lovely bears but you can't sew on a button or a hem".  I say to her I HATE SEWING BUTTONS!  Nice to know there are others like me out there!!   bear_thumb

ScaliWagGrrs ScaliWagGrrs
Denver, Colorado
Website

Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I absolutly hate sewing---except for sewing bears and critters that is. I always figured it must be that they have a face that looks back at you. I always feel the love come back at me. I never had that feeling either when sewing on a button, mending clothes or even making a quilt.
If you could go back in time and tell my earlier self that I would be sewing bears in the future I am sure I would have just laughed and said "HA! You must be kidding! I HATE sewing"
Funny thing is I really do enjoy the actual sewing part of making bears now. (Apart from sewing in footpads and sometimes sewing on ears) I even enjoy closing seams by hand. And since I learned another way of sewing in head gussets I don't mind doing that now. It is much easier to sew the head gusset to the side heads first then sew the chin to nose seam last. At least it is easier for me. I don't have to hand sew this anymore and I get a much more even look to the nose. If you haven't tried this I suggest you do.
Beth

I do my head gussets the same way Beth, I agree much easier.

wubbiebear Braille Teddies
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Are you saying you sew the head gussett to the sides before you sew the side pieces together?  I'm going to try that.

Yes, Wubbiebear give it a go, it works and I find it sooooo much easier.

Board footer