Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I am the worlds worst when I have a show looming. I am not good at putting bears aside so I have to have an all out 'heave to' when I realise it's hammer time and it's now or never. So in the two/three week run up to a show I make about 7 bears pulling out all the stops ..working very hour I can. Which leaves me shattered...yet hard as I try I can't be organised enough to do anything else. I just wonder how others manage. How many bears do you like to have on your stands? I used to go mad and make up to 20 plus..but now I just make a few.

Don't get me wrong..I won't change my ways...but I am interested to hear how others build up for a show.
I am not doing Hugglets...I always have a break in September..so you are possibly working away building stock right now!

2catkiss LALand Bears
Oregon

Hi Jenny !
I know what you mean.  I never feel like I have enough bears....and struggle at the last minute to just make "one more"...well maybe just "two more"
Sometimes the ladies near me have a "bear in progress" at the show, but I am never calm enough at the shows to actually do any sewing!

I have a show this Saturday so production time is done.  8 bears it is.
Lately, I have been going through all my supplies (25+ year accumulation) and put together grab bags. Those were very popular at the last show. They take up some space and also it helps to clean up my cluttered work room  :thumbsup:

The grab bags consist of a theme like "holiday" accessories for dolls or bears, and will contain small wreaths, ribbons, buttons, jingle bells, mini candy canes, mini snow men....things like that. Sometimes it is just a small collection of lace pieces. 

In the days leading up to the show now I will stay connected by making sure everyone is brushed and beautiful   and getting names, price tags, sales bags, tissue paper, everything all ready to go. 

It's a mad dash Saturday morning because I cannot do advance set up Friday night.

I love doing shows.  I wish I could go to some of the larger ones you all talk about.

Take care  :rose:
Lee Ann

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

I am attending Hugglets in September and am really working hard at the moment to get enough bears for the show.I have 5 finished and 9 in various stages of completion.It is a struggle for me to even have that many for a show as no matter how hard I try and with all good intentions life always gets in the way and before I know it I am trying to finish so many bears in a very short space of time.
I am taking two 15 inch traditional bears and the rest are under 6 inches but I feel that around 15 bears is enough.I wish sometimes I made bigger bears and then I could be happy with a table of 6 or 7 bears as that lesser number makes you feel less pressurised even if they take longer to finish bear_laugh  .I would love to do a show and be finished with plenty of time to spare but it never happens lol!

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Yes I know that feeling well. You know what an old friend used to say that it is always best to leave things to the last minute...because then you only have the last minute to do it and it then focuses your mind ..and you can't keep going back and re-doing things ..which means that even if you start early you will still be working flat outat the last minute.so it's more productive to just do it all  at the last minute.. That wasn't a bear maker who said it ..it was a theoretical physicist. I do tend to agree with that philosophy as no matter how early I start I am always still tweaking and re-tweaking right up till the start of the show!
I think the trick is to focus and not veer off course!

Board footer