Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Nika Posts: 2

Hi everyone!

I have a small question and I would love to hear any advice =)

Im actualy a doll artist but I wanted to try something different for an upcoming doll&bear fair.
I wanted to make a bear with sculpted faceplate and I really dont know what glue would work best for paper clay and mohair fabric.

Here is a picture
worm30.jpg

I have to glue the mohair on to the head but im not sure which glue would be good, I dont want the face to fall out =S

Thanks everyone!

Sallyanne Sally Anne Bears
Lincoln
Website

I love the face, beautiful! But sorry I can't help you with the glue!

Sandra x

BlackmoonBear Sacred Bear Studios
Saint Petersburg, Florida

FYI, glueing is very much frowned upon in bearmaking. if you are sculpting the face from clay I suggest making pinholes around the edge of the faceplate so you can sew the fur to it.

hope that helps, and good luck!

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Well I would use a glue that's designed to stick both fabric and ceramics. Maybe a super glue type of thing. There are some seriously strong adhesives that stick carpets to floors and I think that would work very well. I am definitely not a bear maker that frowns upon the use of glue...it really does depend on what you are glueing and why ....but I don't want to open up that whole glue debate again!

Have a look at taxidermy supplies...they have glues that would be just the ticket.

mdith ODD-Jects d'ART
Albuquerque, NM

Hi,

Really nice work!

I'd suggest using FABRI-TAC (made by Beacon) for fabric and all sorts of other materials (lace, glass, leather, wood & trims) - grabs and dries fast, clear, and is permanent. I use it for all sorts of things and what I would use for your project -unfortunately it probably isn't available in Europe....

http://www.beaconadhesives.com/cgfab.html

Aleen's also makes permanent fabric glues but I've never tried them.

Good luck!
Meredith :>))

warwickshire uk
Website

I just had a quick look at taxidermy adhesives and apparently one called ZAP GEL is ideal as it will stick anything to anything !!!

Nika Posts: 2

@Sallyanne: Thank you =)

@BlackmoonBear: Ah I didnt know that glue was nono. I did think of making some holes in the faceplate but still wanted to glue some parts to fill the gaps.

@jenny: Thank you! I will order the zap gel, hopefully it does the work =)

@mdith: Thank you! I think I can order it from ebay. Thanks!

Thanks everyone!

binglebears bingle bears
Upstate, NY

The one thing I would like to add is to make sure that the glue you use is acid free, otherwise it will eventually eat away at the fabric. 

Beautiful work!! bear_wub

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I really like Fabri-tac, and I also use Aileen's Fabric Fusion.  It is permanant, and is used to apply sequins, rhinestones etc. 

BlackmoonBear, there are certain times when glue must be used, at least in my opinion. I think that this may be one of those times.  Paperclay is not strong enough to take many holes.  Maybe a few holes just to help secure.

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

I use Aileen's Tacky Glue to help hold the gaps when sewing is involved and further sealing is being used.  And I love Aileen's Fabric Fusion, but it does not have an immediate tack and needs to be held in place.  Once it is dry, it isn't going anywhere!  And I agree that there are many times gluing is a necessity!

BlackmoonBear Sacred Bear Studios
Saint Petersburg, Florida

I'm not familar with paperclay, as I always use sculpy III for molded parts, if I'm in error here I apologize.

I've never used glue on a bear, as there really is no such thing as a truly permanent glue (taken in the context that collectible bears are meant to last decades if not lifetimes)
I'd be very afraid of the glue separating or disintegrating, leaving me with a very unhappy collector, and my name signed to something that has fallen apart.

mdith ODD-Jects d'ART
Albuquerque, NM

ZAP GEL (super glue/cyanoacrylate) is great for some things, but I definitely would not use it in this case!! The thicker gel is easier to control, but it could still bleed through the fabric. For this project where the fur is being glued onto the face it could bleed through the fabric and fur and be a big mess. Super glue also makes the area very stiff and brittle, and there's no way to remove it without ruining everything.... STAY AWAY!!! If you are gluing something ONTO the fabric where the glue can bleed to the inside it would be fine, just be sure not to get it anywhere you don't want it.

In general I wouldn't use super glue on fabric at all unless it's on a toothpick to tack something into a tiny hole, and then the zap gel works great.

warwickshire uk
Website

I wasn't sure what Zap gel was..I just saw that taxidermists use it to stick skins to the armature...so I thought it might be good for this...I have used the carpet adhesive at times.....for specific times when sewing isn't possible.

Board footer