Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

:dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

I just tried out the oil paint technique of shading as outlined by Shelli.  It's faaaantabulous!! bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh
So much better than acrylics.  The shading went so smoothly--I didn't feel like it was a struggle at all.  And the best part is the oil paint seems to soak in and actually stain the mohair, instead of just "sitting" on top.  I did have a tendency to go a bit too dark, so will have to work on that.  I am still happy with the results though!

Thanks Shelli!! bear_wub  bear_wub

bear_wub
Tracy

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Yeah ! How about some pictures...love to see that bears...Winney

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh I am so glad you tried it Tracy!  Shelli had me sold the first time I tried it too.....it is easy and you can mix your own colors!  So Totally customed designed!

pictures!!! lets see!!!!

hugs

dilu

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

I'm going to take some pics of another bear today that's going on ebay this weekend, so I'll take a few of 'No Name' bear as well.  He'll be nekked though (Eeek! bear_grin  bear_grin )........haven't had time yet to sew up some overalls for him.  I had wanted to use a pair of baby bibs on him, but couldn't find anything to fit, so I have to sew them, whether I like it or not!  I did find some wonderful denim yesterday though. Just gotta get my rear in gear and get 'em done!:D  bear_laugh

bear_wub
Tracy

The Artful Fox The Artful Fox
Nottinghamshire

Please please please can you re-post or direct me to the oil paint technique of shading as outlined by Shelli
This is the info i've been searching for. I've tried acrylic paint and like you say, it doesn't soak in. I've never used oils before so would LOVE to know how to use them for shading. I haven't found anything else that im 100% happy with yet.
pretty pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaasssssseee!!!!!!!! :-) XXX

Pijangibears Pijangibears
Denmark
jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Acrylic paint does 'soak in ' but you need to use a wetting agent on the fabric. Like a detergent or other surfactant. You can also buy a textile medium from Folkart or Createx...or one of the other companies that make the paint. You can then mix it with the paint..or use it on the fabric before you paint. I use a bit of detergent...and I use soap on felting...but I also have the Createx Fabric medium. You do have to be careful with oil as it eventually will damage to cotton backing of the fabric. Using a fabric medium with acrylics helps to keep the pile supple.

The Artful Fox The Artful Fox
Nottinghamshire

Thanks so much Birgitte, that has really helped. I'm off to get some oil paints and brushes now today. :-)
Hugs
Paula

Miser Miser Bears

Are oils easy to use? I have never shaded before but would like to give it a go  bear_thumb

Little Nan Posts: 233

Jenny , do you use the opaque in the Createx ? , if so do you mix your colours yourself because I can't seem to find any brown shades, so would presume a mix of say , red and green ?
Nan

Oops!! Sorry Jenny, just found some ! From Folkart ! Only one left though  better get it ordered !
Nan x   bear_rolleyes

warwickshire uk
Website

I use the translucent ones....

Oh thanks Jenny, I guessed wrong then ! Nothing new there ,  actually translucent was my first guess, you should always stick to your initial feelings as they say! As I have just learned after making a second head for a ted I have been on because I wasn't really satisfied with the first one, only to realise after putting it on that the first one was really much nicer!
What a fool I am! Yet another lesson learned !! Wonder if anyone else has done a similar thing ?
Invaluable info on this subject , thanks everyone !! Where would I be without this forum , I know... Lost !!!
Huge bear hugs to all !!
Nan  bear_wub  bear_thumb

warwickshire uk
Website

I have masses of stuff I bought then realised I had bought the wrong one...but there is no reason not to use it...!

Pijangibears Pijangibears
Denmark

Jenny - did you get my PM?

Board footer