Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

trimming-seams.jpgDaphne, here is a picture for you, I could not figure out how to post it under the topic of discussion so added it here.You will have to bear  bear_grin  with me till I figure my way around this place.

This is the way I get the fur out of the way from the seams with my bear making on the bigger bears.

Lynette.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Aaaaaaaa Haaaaaa! (Light bulb appears above my head!) I get it!

See, I tuck all of my fur inside as I go around and pin so I don't have all that fur sticking out of my seams on the inside. That's, I guess, why I couldn't figure out what you all were doing pulling the fur INSDE for! Now I get it!

Thank you so much for taking the time to pictorally explain it! That's just what I needed. I'm such a visual person!

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Daphne... I think most people tuck the fur into the seams before stitching. bear_thumb  But unless you actually trim the fur from the seams before stitching, you will still get fur trapped in the seams and from the right side, this fur sticks out shorter than the rest of the pile. I was taught that the fur should be picked out from the side of the stitching line to where it originated. This in turn makes the sewn seams looser as you have removed some of the bulk and the only way to rectify this is to resew the seam. (this doesn't seem to be as necessary with handsewn seams in my experience.
This has always been the way I've done it and it does give a neater overall look....HOWEVER..I have recently been trimming the fur from the seams before stitching (thankyou Winney!!) and am now totally converted to this method...it gives a superb finish with no fur sticking out where it shouldn't and I will be doing it this way from now on. It's not so obvious with shorter mohairs...but very obviously better with longer mohair.
Trimming the fur from seams is the best way not to have stubble sticking out of head gussett seams when you trimm or shave the muzzle too...otherwise you get a line of sticky outy fur. Hope this help!

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Yep, I trim the seams before sewing too...esp around the muzzle.  It does give a beautiful finish :)
And Daphne, I've never realised why you would brush the fur to the inside either lol, the light bulb has appeared for me too lol
hugs Sarah

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I am with you guys.  I trim mine first in most cases.  But I do like your method Lynette  That looks like it works well.  I have used toothpuck(they break) or needles (they get stuck unless I use the blunt side).  I read that Sue Ann uses shishkabob sticks....ther are lot sof ways to skin a cat....or to hug a bear ( I think I like that better). 

Thanks for sharing your photos.

Board footer