Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

jbshaffer Posts: 3

Hi all: If possible please help me in identifying my bear (and value).  He was given to me in the early 50s when we lived in France and Germany.  I was an Army brat.  Cookie bear (named for the sound he made when his voice box worked bear_original is jointed and is stuffed with excelsior.  There are no markings that I could find.  Thanx!

1363462367_dsc02885.jpg
1363462383_dsc02886.jpg
1363462401_dsc02887.jpg
1363462415_dsc02888.jpg
1363462433_dsc02889.jpg
1363462445_dsc02892.jpg

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Hi JB, I'm pretty sure that Cookie is a Steiff "Classic" bear, and was probably new when he was given to you.

In his very well-loved condition, and with no ear button, he's probably worth $100 or less. (If he were mine, I'd get him cleaned and enjoy his company!)

Becky

Thanx! ...that's what I kinda thought.  Any recommendations on how to clean him up?  Cost to do so...and would it be advisable to try an locate an appropriate ear button?

Thanx again..
                       -=Joseph=-

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Hi Joseph, It wouldn't really be proper to replace the ear button (some might see it as fraudulent?), but as far as cleaning, you could give it a go yourself, or look for a teddy-bear restoration person in your part of the world.

The first step with cleaning is to make sure the bear isn't hosting any "friends." Just wrap him in a towel and place him in a freezer for 48 hours or so. Then you need to rid him of dust (I use a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment. Just be careful around the eyes, ears, etc.) Then comes the fur... (I just did a search of this forum for "clean mohair" and found this thread with good advice from Paula Carter: http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=46463

Now, it's not really a huge deal to get paw pads re-covered, and the nose/mouth stitching he has is definitely not original. You could leave those "mom stitches" for the sake of sentiment, or a professional could restore his original look.

Good luck, and we'd love to see "after" pictures!

Becky

Thanx...Cookie and I have weathered well together bear_laugh so I think he's going to be fine in the cupboard...
              Thanx again!!

Board footer