Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Caroline D Posts: 150
Website

This bear I just finished. He's a very personal bear, wouldn't ever be for sale as he only means something to me. He's called Panda, even though he doesn't look like a panda, because it's a bear based on a character of mine called Panda! Mainly he was an experiment, in matching up the pattern on the fur (not terribly successfully, but there was intent in the apparently random layout of the black patches), and also, making polymer clay nose, eyes, and claws. I learned a lot from the claws; made them way to big, but also, I need to find a different way to put them in, as some of them went in wonky. I glued them inside, sewed between them, and then turned them out, which almost worked except that a couple weren't quite facing the right way. I think I need to work out a way to make them all as one unit and sew them in somehow. Any thoughts? I've not seen anything in the library on how best to do them, only posts on where to get ready ones f, rom, and I've not found any tutorials on them. Perhaps its a trade secret. Anyway, pics below.
1364145115_panda_5.jpg
1364145140_panda_3.jpg
close up of hand claws

1364145185_panda_2.jpg
close up of nose and eyes. I had trouble with the eyes, should have made them flat backed I think
1364145265_panda_1.jpg

Caroline

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I'm from the land of Holstein cows, so I see the beauty in this bear. bear_original

Have you read through the library thread about attaching claws? (Sixth topic in the list) There are several ideas there, and Joanne mentions that there's a tutorial on her blog.

Becky

Caroline D Posts: 150
Website

Hi Becky

Thanks for this, just what I was looking for. I shall have to try out the taxidermy epoxy, there's a supplier on ebay. I'm used to working with polymer clay, but I can see that it might not be durable enough for some things, although if it was for a collector bear, I wouldn't think it would get a lot of battering. I also have some Kneadatite, which is also a two part epoxy, so  I might try that too, but it will need painting as it's green or brown. I shall try doing claws again on my next bear.

Board footer