Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Fairybear Wagga Wagga

http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=35673

I have read this and understand but I am having a slightly differnt problem of late.  I am supergluing the bolt to the disc but when I go through the body to tighten the loc nut, the entire superglued disc turns, which means I cannot tighten the loc nut.  What am I doing wrong  bear_angry it is so frustrating.  I thought I could use a regular nut and super glue that when I've finished but surely there is something I am not doing right.   bear_wacko

mickeyflip Sunshine Coast, QLD

I used to have this problem as well - the way I got around it was to either use a cotterpin for the head only (you can buy bags of just the pins - I got some from ebay a few years ago and I'm sure you still can).  A cotterpin doesn't require you to hold onto the other end so it means you can close up the head and finish it off entirely before joining to the body.

Or, something I do now regardless of the head joint I use, is actually leave an opening at the back of the head where the gusset joins with the side head piece, just as you would with the back of the body seam.  It closes up nicely later on but lets you joint the head to the body before stuffing so you can get a spanner or socket in there to hold the other end :)

Neither of these methods will likely be of any use to you now, so maybe try the regular nut and hold the end of the bolt with pliers to enable you to tighten the bolt down.  Then add superglue as you suggested.

teeeej Brisbane

Cannot help you with gluing as I have never done it. I either use a cotter pin or a grub screw in the head joint. Grub screws are great - no gluing and no need to leave an opening in gusset. All you need is a ring spanner and an allen key to tighten.

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

I also use the grub screw or set screw for all my joints. 
Now for your glued disc....Are you holding the disc itself while you are tightening the nut?  That is how I did it before I discovered the grub screw.  If the glue is not holding there is nothing you can do but take it out and start over.
Good Luck,
Donna

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

When I use a head joint I use a cotter pin.

Fairybear Wagga Wagga

I have tried cotter pins but I just can't get the joint as tight as I can with a screw, that's why I use them.  I might order some grub screws online and give them a go.  I have just got another pattern which leaves an opening at the back of the head.

I have a hard time getting the joints tight with a cotter pin too - I hear cotter keys are good for getting them nice and tight but I don't have one.  Never used grub screws because I don't understand how it would make a difference to the issue, clearly there's something I'm not getting!  Leaving a gap in the head is usually how I get around it now anyway - and leave it until last to stitch it closed so I can reshape the head if I need to after nose and eyes are all finished. 
:)

Haha, actually... I just googled grub screws - I wasn't picturing them properly and didn't realise you could hold it still with an allen/key while turning the nut.  D'oh!

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I have a cotter pin key, but I don't use it.  I use a pair of needle nose pliers and I roll it down tightly.  You can really tighten it up better without the key.  The trick is to roll it straight down, not letting the pin open up. Keep both rolls very close together sitting on the washer.

Fairybear Wagga Wagga

I use a cotter pin turner - maybe that's why I can't get it tight.  I might try to use long nose pliers as described by Joanne above and see how I go.  Thanks.

I use needle nose pliers for my cotter pins and I have trouble getting them tight, but it's all practise I think.  I'm just no good at it!

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

If I use cotter pins, I use needle nose pliers, it gets much tighter than the key turner, but it does take practice.

For nut and bolt ones, I glue the bolt to the washer, make sure that's totally dry before I glue it to the disc, then hold onto the disc as I add the nuts.  I don't use locking nuts for this joint, I just use 2 ordinary nuts as there's far less pressure on the glue at that point.

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Just hang on to the disc that is inside the head while you are turning  and you will have no problems tightening the joint This works well for me
Hugs
Gail

Ginger Sleeping Bear
Coatesville PA

Wow! I came here tonight to ask about tight/not so tight joints & immediately got my answer...I think. I've been getting some tight enough, but some very loose & tho' I thought I was doing everything identical, apparently I'm not. The bear I just finished has very loose legs yet her head & arms are fine...? I got my husband to tighten the leg joints because he has strong hands. Or at least that was my thinking. Perhaps I should have done all five joints myself? bear_noexpression I'm using hardboard disks & cotter pins & I also use needle nose pliers. I sure would appreciate any other tips you can give me to assure a good tight joint?
Thanks in advance
~Ginger~

Board footer