Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

NancyW Posts: 11

I apologize beforehand for mistakes in my writing, I am doing this on my phone since the picture is on here too.
I will eventually figure out how to get them to my computer.

So here is my first guy that I pretty much jumped into not really knowing what I was doing.  He has no neck , his arms are not in the places.  I made his nose and it doesn't fit right.  Eyelids are wierd.  But I chose to keep him however he came out.   I know what needs to be fixed for next time.  He is faux fur and about 12" sitting.  I used cotta pin and disk joints.  I think I did that properly but he is very loose.  Is that the norm for that type joints?  Guess I'll call him Chili.  His bow has chilis on it.
I welcome any input, good or bad - I want to learn to make nice bears and pals.
1372121759_20130624_105636.jpg

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I love him - that's all there is to it! He's your first bear, and you're right to keep him and "fix" the ones that come next.

With cotter pins, it's possible to get the joints pretty tight, but not as tight as you can get with nuts and bolts (or set screws). I learned from Joanne NOT to separate the two halves of the cotter pin, but to just roll each side straight down, as tight as you can. It works pretty well.

So does this bear have a name?

Becky

Kelly1976 kellys bears
newcastle upon tyne

He is fab for a first attempt  bear_wub ......here's a little tip for making his nose I find it easier to roll out a ball of clay to the size you want it then cut it straight in half then use either half to mold around the nose area of the bear ( the head needs stuffed ) once it fits then start to add the features to the nose try it against the face once again before you bake it though as it can't be changed after .......ps if you want the nose to have a wet look I have found that clear nail varnish works a treat and it's inexpensive ...... Hope this helps x
Kelly x

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

Your bear looks really cute, and has a lot of personality!
As for the nose, you could also sculpt it directly on the bear. I have done a tutorial on my blog where I explain how I do noses, if you are interested:
http://kaleideascope.blogspot.ch/2013/0 … rials.html

Have fun, and remember to post here pictures of your next creations! bear_thumb  bear_thumb

BlackmoonBear Sacred Bear Studios
Saint Petersburg, Florida

An interesting fellow, quite nice for a first try!

Cotter pin joints are a bit tricky, it takes some practice to get them right....you need a cotter pin key, that will help you roll the ends up nice and tight (you CAN get them as tight as bolt joints, but that again takes practice)

Loose joints though, are a "style".....often done on purpose so that a bear feels loose and well loved.

good luck!

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

Chili is a wonderful guy!!!  He has his problems, but I think you have found them and now know what to do for next time.  That having been said, this bear is a real treasure with loads of personality and a showcase for your creativity! If you are going to use cotter pins, roll them as Becky said.  You can get them fairly tight and if the bear is not played with, they will remain so.  But lots of play loosens them over time.  Looking forward to seeing the next one.

NancyW Posts: 11

Thank you everyone for the tips.  I got some mohair but I must have been thinking centimegers I stead of milli.eters on the length, it is very short and sparse.  Another lesson learned.  I also  got glass eyes and lids and joints to try those.I'm working on another bear from a Biard type pattern.  Picture soon.   bear_original

Jenbee Barnetby Bears
England
Website

Really nice first bear NancyW bear_original I kept my first bear too, i made him just over a year ago and have learned so much since then, it is nice to look back and see how far i have come, and in years to come will keep learning all the time. I think that is one of the things that is so fun about bear making, it really is a journey, and a nice one at that.

I use bent nose pliars on my cotter pins to roll them tightly down. I use nut and bolt joints rarely because i prefer the slightly looser effect of the cotter joints.

Looking forward to see your next bear bear_original

Teddybear Posts: 97

I love everyone's responses to this ! So good to see someone is not being torn down for their first attempt but only encouraged ! And they are all right, Nancy ! That bear looks amazing especially for a first attempt. If my first bear will come out like that I will be very very happy !! As everyone said, he has real personality...and he's special ! He's your first !  :)

John

Caroline D Posts: 150
Website

He's excellent for a first attempt! He's got loads of character as well, looks very cuddly.

edmondnutmeg Padfield bears
Derbyshire
Website

Hi Nancy I think he is a fantastic 1st attempt! For me bears can be extreamly well made but are still 'dead behind the eyes'. Chilli certainly has that certain magic that brings him alive. Your skills will get better as you learn but I gotta warn you - bear making is highly addictive. Once you start you just can't stop bear_grin !
Michelle x

Board footer