Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Miser Miser Bears

Heya folks! I sold a ted on saturday through ebay, and so far the person has not paid. I sent her an invoice, and a kindly "nudge" email, which has had no response. How long should I wait? What should I do if they dont pay?

Thanks for helps!

Us Bears Pennsylvania

First, don't send ANYTHING to them until you have money in your hands.  Once they pay, send it on.

There is a time limit, set by EBay for paying.  Two days.  If you don't get paid, file a claim.

More info can be found here:  http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/unpaid-item.html

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

A buyer has 7 days to pay for an ebay auction item (2 days is for a "buy it now" item), and a seller can't start an unpaid item procedure until 7 days have passed.

If it was an auction, there's not much you can do except wait a week and hope for the best. (ebay will also send the buyer a reminder after a few days)

Becky

clwilmot HandmadebyCarrie
Tallmadge, Ohio
Website

I agree Becky!  dealt with it before.

Miser Miser Bears

Thanks guys, fingers crossed  bear_wacko

Us Bears Pennsylvania
dangerbears wrote:

A buyer has 7 days to pay for an ebay auction item (2 days is for a "buy it now" item), and a seller can't start an unpaid item procedure until 7 days have passed.

I think you're right.  I just read the page quickly.

Regardless of the time limits, if the person doesn't pay, report them.  If eBay finds them at fault, they can get a "strike."  If a person gets too many strikes, they get kicked out.  If eBay gives them a strike, you might also get some or all of your listing fees refunded.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I am nervous on your behalf. I have had this same scenario before.....there is no reason why they shouldn't pay at the auction close and or write to you. It's just bad manners not to even make contact. I pay immediately and most honest people do.
Fingers crossed they pay up...but I have a sinking feeling when this happens...sorry it's happened to you...no one deserves it.

Jenbee Barnetby Bears
England
Website

This is one of the things i dread about ebay. I have been in the postion where people have not paid, and also in the position where i have paid for something and weeks later they still havent sent it to me. I have found that on most occasions, if my usual friendly emails are all being ignored (i hate conflict) I write to them with one last chance letting them know politely that if they have not paid/sent the item by a certain day then i will be starting action with ebay about the issue to resolve it. Funny enough that usually gets a response with my payment/item shortly after.

Not sure why people would bid on something they dont want to pay for, it seems so odd to me, and it certainly is stressful, i hope yours is sorted out soon.

teeeej Brisbane

I have recently been selling a few odds and ends on ebay. I had a few buyers who took more then three days to pay, one was almost a week. Not one of them let me know there would be a delay in payment (I actually ask in payment information to be contacted within 3 days). I always inform the seller if I am not paying for a few days, but some people don't. Hope it works out for you.

Miser Miser Bears

Been over a week, with no replies to emails or payment. Its really weird, the buyer has 100% good feedback, and has bought bears before. Ive filed a claim through ebay, Im a pretty sad panda!  bear_wacko

Janesjollybears JanesJollyBears
Ft.Lauderdale

Hi Heather! So sorry your going through this........been there, done that! Many times, sad to say. Now that you have filed a claim, you have every right to relist that bear. This is how I word my auctions & haven't had a problem since.

This is a Paypal auction only please. This is my only source of income, so immediate payment is much appreciated! I reserve the right to cancel any bids I feel are not of good nature. Sorry for the need to mention that but, due to past non-paying bidders I need to do so.

If you can maybe work something worded like this into your auctions, maybe it will help you in the future. Hugs! Jane bear_original

clwilmot HandmadebyCarrie
Tallmadge, Ohio
Website

bear_sad   that stinks.  Don't let it ruin you from ebay, there are alot of wonderful collectors on there who are great ebayers.

Miser Miser Bears

Thanks for the good advice, I have changed my auction description to specify payment within 24 hours. I should have put something like that to start with!

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

The only thing is whatever you put on the auction page they still get a week to pay. Because eBay won't let you chase them for a week. You can report them after 2 days but they get another 4 days to sort it out. After which they get warnings from eBay. Big deal.   But they will pull your auction if you state things that aren't in the rule book too. For example i was about to bid on a camera...i noticed that the seller has a note on the bottom saying  ' if you have less that 10 feedbacks don't bid' ...Now I think that is a statement which, if discovered by eBay would be enough to get the auction stopped because much as we all would like to make our rules up...you can't ...end of. The set the rules and we have to like them or lump them. There's a thing where you can set buyer preferences...like you can chose not to allow bids from people with zero feedback...and you can cancel bids for serious reasons. But I don't think you can actually make people pay immediately... (more's the pity) though most will if they are serious.  Buy It Now might be an option if you know how much you want to sell for...then they have to pay straightaway.

bears2adopt Bears2Adopt
SF Bay Area

I had a situation like that and it was my first sale. I was quite worried and wondering what was up because the buyer had 100% good feedback and lot of the feedback comments said "fast payment". It turns out when she did finally get in touch with me, that she had an emergency and was in a hospital. That cleared everything up and we easily worked it out from there.

Another time of worries for me was when my computer failed just before a bunch of my auctions were ending. It took me a couple of days to get it working again so I could reply to e-mails. It did not cause any problems, but it could have.

So sometimes life intrudes and the person is innocent. I hope this did work out well for you.

Board footer