Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Ivyworks Ivyworks Artistry
Ottawa, Ontario

Hi everyone! I've been using Perle cotton for my bears noses for the longest time, but find it very very bulky and it tends to look lumpy, especially on my smaller bears. I know some people use emb. floss, but I've had issues with that too, such as the strands don't stay together or shred and it ends up looking even more lumpy! Can someone suggest another type of thread to use, or tips for how to make the emb. thread look smooth, and how many strands to use, etc, I'd be greatful!  bear_grin

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

This is an interesting question! Just wondering - Are you using the #8 size? That's a pretty fine perle cotton.

Becky

Ottawa, Ontario

Nope, I'm using #5, which in retrospect is probably the reason why it looks so bulky (blushing). The funny thing is, I do have #8 cotton, I use it for making my dollhouse miniature crochet hats and shawls (another hobby of mine). Perhaps I'll try using those, although I don't have a huge selection of colours. Perhaps it's time to try my hand and hand dyeing threads  bear_grin  bear_grin

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

I have even gone down to size #12.  Some artist will run the thread through wax first.  That helps it lay down and kind of stick to the next thread.  Then take your thumb or fingernail and smooth the nose after you are finished.  Noses can be such a problem!
Good Luck,
Donna

Ottawa, Ontario

Whoa, so glad I posted my question, so many good tips! I never thought to run the thread through wax before laying it down, if I end up using emb. thread, that might just do the trick, thanks so much!  bear_grin  bear_thumb

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I use Finca Perle no 12 or 16 but I also use crochet and tatting threads ...one I use for small bears is Lizbeth and it comes in size 30 and 40 which is very fine but is excellent for tiny noses.
I get mine from either Roseground in the UK or Biggins Lace ...

Board footer