Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

starlite Starlite Bears
Renfrew,Scotland

If anyone has time - I am so taken with the superb needlefelting I see from all you TT ladies that I thought for some  spare time which might arrive in the future maybe I could buy some needle felting things - just in case I ever wanted to try it out
This link is to an ebay item I think looks an okay buy - but what do you experts think??
Any responses greatly appreciated bear_original  bear_original
:hug:
Anne

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I dont see the link  bear_ermm

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Anne, I don't see the link either.

Neysa sells supplies.  She has a link here on TT.  I'll see if I can find it and post it here in this thread.

starlite Starlite Bears
Renfrew,Scotland

:doh:  Oh what an idiot I am - I think I must have been half/all asleep when I posted . Thank you so much Kim and Judi :hug:
I had a look at Neysa's site which is fabulous but - I do not know one end of rovign from the other never mind needles so this thing is a whole starter kit :
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BUMPER-NEEDLE-FEL … 8244292179
Thanks again bear_flower  bear_flower
:hug:  :hug:
Anne

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

How much would that be ($) USD?  I dont know what grams are comparable to.... I only know by ounces LOL... oh dear, i havent helped you out, just made things more complicated!

starlite Starlite Bears
Renfrew,Scotland

Kim - yes of course you are helping bear_original  bear_original
- I only know ounces also but - I googled and 1oz = 28 grams so the amount of wool is approx 7 oz and the $ price including postage is $25.18
:hug:
Anne

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Well, considering that you get the foam block, directions and needles, it isnt bad.... That is how I started out was a starter kit like this...

starlite Starlite Bears
Renfrew,Scotland

Thank you Kim :hug:  :hug:
Anne

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Have fun and watch what you are doing when you felt or you will have lots of pricks!  You will have plenty of pricks even if you do watch what you are doing bear_original Let us know how it goes bear_original and dont forget to post pics but you knew that already HA!

starlite Starlite Bears
Renfrew,Scotland

Hi Kim - I will go and buy that kit now - then maybe just maybe in about two years time bear_grin  bear_grin
I am a sloow developer bear_grin
Thanks again :hug:
Anne

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Good luck Anne, just read this post now, sing out if you need some help, we can help you out.

This is very addictive, you will soon see.  :hug:

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Dear Anne. I thought I would put down my experience with kits & so forth.
I bought a Kit from Ed Imports. It had practically every thing in it. I found it to be pretty much useless. A waste of money.   I found that I only use 36's, 38's.& 40's. They are the needle sizes. I cant stand core wool. I will only use roving. The little piece of foam you get in kits. Is way too small. I bought 2 large pieces of foam from a rubber supply store for Au $1.50 each. This way my work can sit in front of me while I'm working. I needle all the parts first before I begin to attach them.  The roving which came with the kit are the most vile colours. I WILL NOT USE THEM.
When I first started to felt ,I bought two sets of needles (36,40) and some roving from a bear supplier and I find now that that was the best way to go.
Dont mean to scare you at all ,but you only need the very basics for needle felting. It's so easy to do. The problem I find is staying awake.

All the best, give it a go.    Matilda.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I think that kit is a really good deal. I would get it if I were you.
I agree with Matilda that you don't really use all the needles, but I personally just like to have the selection 'just in case'.
Looks like you get some good colors to start with, that's really important. The only thing is seems to be missing is core wool. I like to use that because it felts faster and it's cheaper.
But that's just me.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Heather!!!!! HOW DO YOU GET IT TO FELT? and dont say you use the needles.hahahahahah

It wouldnt felt for me. I have given it several goes. With different needles.
What's the secret. I'm obviously missing something. :doh:  :doh:    Matilda

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Annie - I have a wide selection of needles... I use the thickest ones the most but you need the smaller ones when you are almost done for fine details.... I LOVE having a lot of colors ... I have some that I might not use but you never know when the mood hits and you WANT to make a bright pink bear!  I think it is a good starter package... my felting block is only 9X9 and I dont want it bigger because my creations arent big... I just plop the foam on my throw pillow on the couch and felt away while my doggies run around...

you can always add to this kit but it is a basic kit, pretty much all you need to get started and they are over in your neck of the woods and shipping is a good price...

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I actually use all the needles ----depends on the fine details you want to add in later.

Ann the $ is roughly about 1.60-1.70 to the pound.  I add up.  So your 12 pound kit is about 25 dollars plus shipping.  I thought it looked pretty good.

I agree that you will probably want to pick up a nice seat cushion form to use on your lap-the thicker the better. 

I used a small square when I first started, and found it much easier to felt my fingers.  It was better when I started using seat cushions.

Do you have a good basic book?  You might find that to be helpful.  A lot of us used the Barbara Allen book.  I like it because it is so basic.

this is her website.....she is fast and the dollar is much better against the Aussie dollar than it is against the British pound.  However her beginner kit does not have as manyu rovings as shown in the kit on e-bAY.

she does have sales on her rovings

http://www.cobwebcottage.co.nz/BearsAvailable.html

Here is an American link:

http://www.mielkesfarm.com/flt_ndls.htm#needles

I have purchased quite a bit from them. and they are fast and I am pleased with their products.  The have a metal holder called  Adams something  because of te weight and balance I find I can felt much longer with no cramping.

one caveat:  their web site isn't the most user friendly, but they are here in the states, and they are fast-  they also have beginner kits....

dilu

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

LAMB_BEAR05-1.JPGHi Anne,
Looks like there are lots of different opinions here.  It just goes to show you that different things work for different artists.  I think you need to find out for yourself what will work for you.  Core wool can be very lumpy to work with but can work for the center of a project.
I tend to use only wool batt.  It felts up beautifully for me and many of my projects are quiter large so I don't want to fiddle too much with silver wool, which comes in a roving, is fine but I often find it too slippery to work with as I tend to needle felt larger projects.

Sounds lik ehte price is right for the ebay auction.  As far as foam blocks...I agree with the ladies here.  The samller foam blocks don't last.  They break down and I end up poking right through to my leg. OUCH.  I use an old faom pillow that I have cut into smaller sized chunks.

I also use all my needles.  I use the larger 32 the least.  My favorite needles are the 38 and 40 as I like a smooth very firm finish.

Here's a photo of a bear and lamb both done with wool batt.  The bear is 19" tall to give you an idea of how lareg the felting area is.  I used no core wool.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
matilda wrote:

Heather!!!!! HOW DO YOU GET IT TO FELT? and dont say you use the needles.hahahahahah

It wouldnt felt for me. I have given it several goes. With different needles.
What's the secret. I'm obviously missing something. :doh:  :doh:    Matilda

Matilda
, I'm really not sure why it won't felt. We must be talking about different stuff, because my core wool just felts up soo fast, but as Judi says, it is lumpy.

Judi  You only use batt eh?? Interesting, because you do such large projects compaired to me. How firm are your pieces?? I'm wondering if it would be easier just to use batt. Instead of core wool and silver.

starlite Starlite Bears
Renfrew,Scotland

Ladies you are wonderful :dance:  :dance:  Thank you so much for your contributions and thoughts and advice :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Karen - thank you for your kind offer of advice  bear_flower  addictive - oops I am already addicted to bears - have I time for another addiction :doh:

Matilda - thank you I like the thought of only very basics needed  bear_original  bear_original

Heather - yes I have now taken the plunge and purchased that kit from ebay - I hope it will arrive for the end of the month or maybe just into the new year  - then who knows the sky may just be the limit bear_grin

Kim well as you and I both make lots of little uns - it may be that the little block will suit - I too like to work with my current project in my lap bear_original  bear_original

Dilu - thankyou so much for the links - I may get the opportunity whilst off work to go to one of those super all encompassing book shops - so I will give serious thought to a book - I will however watch the knees as the old legs are in a bit of a state already :redface:  :redface:

Judi - oh what wonderful creatures the lamb is angelic and the bear superb - but then I  think that all your bears and creatures are superb!! I am storing the information you gave about bigger projects for later ( maybe much later!!)

Thank you again ladies -  bear_thumb  bear_flower  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:
You are wonderful and so lovely to help an old body out :hug:  :hug:
I will let you know how I get on though please do not hold your collective breaths as I said I am a sloow developer bear_grin  bear_grin

I do hope that you all have a wonderful Christmas - I will sign off in a minute or two to wrap some final pressies
:hug:  :hug:  :hug:
Anne

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Ooops....I didn't notice the flag,  :doh:  :redface:  :doh:  :redface:  :doh:  :redface:

so it isn't so important re: US $ vs British #

Oh well, I can laugh at myself....think of me as an eccentric slightly daft aunt.

I hope you will love needlefelting.  It is a lot of fun and I find it very relaxing.

dilu

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Anne,
I am so sure you will find needle felting to be such a joy to work with.  I is such a raw from of creating...noi patterns...just your imagination.  It's really wonderful.

Heather, I felt to a very very firm finish.  Batt works the best for me.  In my opinion, silver leaves a finish that when touched, it can come loose.  I want my work to be solid and hug friendly.  My daughter sleeps with a bear that I made that has needle felting details.  It has held up beautifully.  I think this was a good test too.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thanks Judi. I was wondering. I've also noticed the silver will slip a bit, and no, that's not good!
I really like my felting nice and firm, so I"m going to try it your way. Sounds like it's a bit better.
Good to know they can be slept with. I always wondered if they were that tough.
Thanks again.

Board footer