Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Fairybear Wagga Wagga

In the process of making a bear, what is the best/worst part for you?  I really don't like the cutting out part as it takes so long because you have to be so careful not to cut the fabric.  Surprisingly my favourite part is the pinning and overcast stitching.  I love sitting there watching a movie or something good on TV and putting it together ready to sew.  I find it really relaxes me.  In saying that you would think I would love to hand stitch my bears but for some reason I'm not overly fond of that either, takes too long to get to the finish.  Just curious and thought it might be a good topic of conversation.   bear_grin

Plum Cottage Bears Plum Cottage Bears
Long Beach, CA

Plum Cottage Bears Cute Animal Ambassador

Oddly enough, my favorite part of making the bear is the hand sewing.  My least favorite part of making the bear is embroidering the nose.

Tatty Bears South Australia

Hi Leanne,
              I think my favourite is finishing the head, eyes, nose, mouth & ears, seeing it's character develop, bear_original
Least favourite is foot pads and cutting out the pattern. bear_sad

Miser Miser Bears

I love turning the pieces inside out! I hate embroidering the nose, so much can go wrong!

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

Ears!  I don't like designing ears as I'm never sure how big or little they should be. And then sewing them on,
getting them on straight especially on real fur bears is always tough!!

I love every other part from designing to doing all the little finishing touches!!

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

Nice topic!
My favourite part is designing a new model. I love the challenge of finding new solutions, devising shapes, giving a three dimensional form to an idea that is in my head. I also love the painting and shading of the eye-face details as it is then that the critter finally gains a personality.
What I don't particularly like is that moment in the middle of a project when you think it is not coming right. I often go through this phase during a project. That is when I know I need to put it down for a little bit and think about something else!  :(
...and maybe eat some chocolate... bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Hazelwood Crafts Hazelwood Crafts
Kent
Website

I like thread jointing my needle felted bears, when you pull the threads tight is when the whole thing literally comes together.

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

My least favorite is trimming the fur from the seam allowances before sewing!!!!!!  Most favorite is coming up with new ways to do old things.  Although, if your creating a new friend, what's not to like?????

wazzabears Wazza Bears Australia
Bulli

My faviorite is the hand sewing… my less fav is the stuffing… hence why I make miniatures lol… stuffing bigger ones kill my hands

edmondnutmeg Padfield bears
Derbyshire
Website

Francy I am so with you! bear_grin I get all fired up and super excited cutting the pattern then usually about 1/2 way through the making of the actual bear have a crisis of confidence! My favourite bit is ladder stitching the limbs up as that for me is when they start to come to life. The most horrible bit is when a needle felting needle snaps off and you have to take every thing apart and start again to find the tip agghhhh!
Michelle

Tony Furleigh Bears.
Trowbridge

Still new to this hobby. So far all my bears have been hand stitched which I quite like and find relaxing especially after a hard days work. I find ears are my nemesis. Stitching them on and not being able to see or judge where the stitches are, and trying to get the ears equal. They are areal nightmare for me. bear_cry

Board footer