Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Tony Furleigh Bears.
Trowbridge

Hi all,

Trying to find a good way of making a nice big floppy lace collar for a lady bear. Are there any good tutorials out there, or does anybody have any great tips for making one. Perhaps there are a few other things that could be adapted.

Looking forward to hearing your answers. :thumbsup:

Best wishes, Anthony.

Pijangibears Pijangibears
Denmark

Hi Anthony

For a copple of years ago, there was a tutorial for a collar made of ribbon, but I can't
find it for you. I have been through the library to find it.

1391254000_prinsesse_mary.jpg

It looks like this.

Maybe, there some of you out there, who can help.

Elli Posts: 102

Hi Tony, I can't give an advise since I've never made a lace collar, but maybe it would help if you post the link to a picture of how the collar should look like. Do you want to chrochet it or make it of a piece of lace?

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Do you mean a ruffle or a collar. If it's a ruffle, there are lots of types of lace edging which you can buy in various widths...the. You just gather it up, sew it and either sew the ends together to form a ruffle...or what I do is to add a press stud so it can be removed from the bear.
If it's a collar, have a look on eBay for lace collars, there are lots around and can be altered to fit a teddy quite easily. I bought a lovely one in a thrift shop for £1 last year.

Tony Furleigh Bears.
Trowbridge

Hi all,
Sorry not got back sooner. Seem to get caught up between work and the bears lately. Work I can do without(except for the money) but the bears have started to take over :lol:

Pijangibears, That's a nice idea. Never thought of doing it that way.

Elli, I don't have a picture but after digging around on the internet I suppose you may call it a Peter Pan collar. Well I think that's what you would call them. Not too up on lady's fashion. I have been looking perhaps towards a heavy lace perhaps in ivory colour that has the look of crochet but do not have a clue how to stop the ends from falling apart. I only picked up a sewing needle for the first time  over Christmas and made my first bear then. So much to learn for a near sewing virgin who cut his teeth on a small teddy. :whistle:

jenny, love the idea of a ruff . I will be using one later on when I get a bit better at bear making. Would love to make one of those harlequin/clown type bears. They are really cute bear_wub in ruff and clown hat. Certainly one to put together later this year.
I keep my eyes open on e-bay but most sellers do not include the size of the collar they are selling and many that I like that I think would suit my bear seem to start for well over £5 and many are double that price. I keep looking.

Is there a way of cutting and sewing lace perhaps with a backing that would enable me to assemble something suitable(and where did I put that question mark)...?.sorry lost my way around the keyboard for a while there.

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

I buy vintage (and sometimes new) crocheted doilies of all sizes and cut them to make collars, skirts and pinafores (an apron like dress).  Once cut, I bind them with bias tape, ribbon or sew (zig zag on machine or by hand) the edges to stop them from raveling and then I crochet an edge to them.  I add a snap for the closure or ribbon ties.

suejennings TeddyBuys
Kent
Website

The following is a link to a tutorial on making a Peter Pan collar.

http://alittledecadence.tumblr.com/post … -beginners

It should be easy enough to reduce it to fit a bear.  Hope this helps

Tony Furleigh Bears.
Trowbridge

Hello.

Thank you for some great advice.

tcfolk;Great idea about using doilies.I went with this idea in the end and made a collar for the bear in question. It turned out ok in the end. :thumbsup:

1391884437_p1040370.jpg

Just the right size too. The little butterfly's I found down our local market and adds a little interest.

Now for the next bear so onwards and upwards.

Wishing everybody the very best, Anthony.

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

Thanks, Anthony - It looks great!  Looking forward to seeing the next one!   bear_thumb tc

Board footer