Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

slushybear Posts: 1

Hi all! I volunteered to help my best friend restore her teddy bear and need some expert advice! She sleeps with it every night and has since she was a tiny kid. He is in very bad shape. His name is snowy but I call him slushy because he's the color of the grey slush on the side of the road after the snow's melted. I'd like to help my friend by deeply sanitizing the bear and restoring any whiteness I can.

About Snowy
Here's a picture of him http://instagram.com/p/kGoznJOSED/
He is in a delicate, deteriorated state
I do not want to open him unless totally neccessary
I don't know what Fabric he is- it feels like cotton; it has no sheen anymore
Manufactured by Dakin (likely 1986)

I've read lots of tips such as putting him in the freezer, using just a washcloth and water, etc. I need your expert advice on how I can get him as clean and white as possible! As you can see from the picture, there is absolutely no need to keep him in any kind of collector condition. Any help would be great!

edmondnutmeg Padfield bears
Derbyshire
Website

Well Snowy certainly has had a whole lot of loving. My friend had a bear that went the same way until there was nothing left of him. I haven't any cleaning advice as he looks too delicate to take it but others may know better. The deep freeze is a way of killing dust mites and any other infestations. It might be worth making Snowy an outer suit to wear to protect him from any more 'loving' if your friend can't retire him to lighter duties. Good luck!
michelle

BooBoo Posts: 153

Wow!! Poor bear bear_sad .  I like Michelle's suggestion. I too think he needs a protective outer suit.

Fairybear Wagga Wagga

Perhaps you could put him in one of those laundry bags that you wash delicates in and use a very gentle washing cycle with some soap flakes i.e. Softly?  That might help to sanitise and clean him up.  Also I agree with Michelle, after cleaning perhaps you could put an outer suit of clothing or a knitted jumper to make sure he does not get even more worn.

Board footer