Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Fleecy Feetsies Fleecy Feetsies by Jeanine Rose
Connecticut

Hi all,

I have switched over to cotter pins from nuts and bolts and find it very difficult to get a tight joint. I stuff my limbs after they are pinned to the body and once the weight, beads, stuffing is added, they get very loose despite having them curled down all the way as tight as I can get them. Any tricks for this?

Also looking for a good wood fiber fill and can't seem to find any. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

dellyb Personally For You
West Yorkshire

Have you tried stuffing the arms and legs first before fitting? That's the way I work and never seem to have any problems. I also use pliers not a cotter pin tool

Fleecy Feetsies Fleecy Feetsies by Jeanine Rose
Connecticut

Ok I will try that thank you. Are you still curling them down with pliers or do you lay them flatter? With the pin tool all you can do is curl but it does not curl down so far and tightly.

edmondnutmeg Padfield bears
Derbyshire
Website

I found a tip on here in the library (sorry I can't remember who it was as it was ages ago) that sorted out my jointing. AS you turn the pin down try to keep it as vertical as possible that way once finished the tension is holding from both pins at once not each individual split pin. I also start by pulling the unsplit pin as tight as I can with pliers in one hand while gripping squeezing the joints together. When you have finished the joint, squeeze the discs together again and if you can feel/see a gap (if I can get my fingernail between the washer and the pin) it need some more tightening. Hope this makes sense. I also find a determined grunt on that last turn helps show it who's boss bear_grin
michelle

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

I had that same problem. The cotter pins became twisted and cork-screw-like resulting in loose joints. So many years ago, I switched back to the nuts and bolts. Now, my hand strength is not the best, so I purchased a small hand held power drill and bought the attachment the fits the bolt (or is it the nut). So I avoid all that twisting motion and I can adjust with the reverse option on the drill if I get it too tight.

Board footer