Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

cindyleegong Posts: 2

I have a bear from my 1960's childhood.  The bear is currently on estsy and Ebay identified as "vintage mutzli mohair teddy bear with 8 outfits 60's steiff style Switzerland" with the same lederhosen, clown, overalls, etc outfits my bear has.  However, my bear lacks the mutzli chest button.  Were mutzli's ever produced without chest buttons?  Or is this a knockoff?  All of the stitching, including the uniquely patterned stitches on the chest, and the paw pads are identical to those pictured.  Thank you for any knowledge you can share....

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Could your parents have cut the button off for safety reasons since you were a child?

bears2adopt Bears2Adopt
SF Bay Area

I have some Mutzli bears, though they don't have clothes. They do have a small round paper tag that is attached to their chest with a plastic tie. If I were a Mom and giving this bear to a child to play with, I'd take that tag off for sure.

If I get a chance, I'll take a picture.

Ernie

bears2adopt Bears2Adopt
SF Bay Area

Here is the Felpa Mutzli teddy bear that I have. It is 19 inches tall. Notice the tag on its chest. The tag is about 3/4 inch in size.
1393951803_img_3789_small.jpg

Here is a close up of the tag - see how it is attached to its chest.
1393951834_img_3791_small.jpg

Hope this helps you!

cindyleegong Posts: 2

Thank you all for your responses!  The bear posted on etsy/Ebay has a button that wouldn't be detachable so it's especially helpful to see the tag in the photo that clearly could have been cut off from my bear.  Hafto smile though-my mom was the one who smoked cigarettes in the car with the windows rolled up (couldn't have the wind blow and risk ruining the not-quite-as-high-as-Marge-Simpson hair) so I geeeeuuuuuussss she might have cut off the tag for my safety...LOL.  I am keeping my bear out of sentimentality but want to put as much info as possible with him so my daughter has the history.  Thank you!

Board footer