Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Caroline D Posts: 150
Website

Hi folks

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for packing up large bears, 12" or over. I've just finished a large bear, Ozymandias the mage,
1399391716_ozymandias_1a.jpg
and I feel he needs a box to go in, but he he covers an A3 piece of card, and needs about 6" deep. Looking on ebay for boxes that size, usually brings up plastic crates like Really Useful Boxes, which cost a fortune. I've been thinking perhaps forget boxes and take a tip from Charlie bears and make a special bag for him. Any thoughts, ideas?

Caroline

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hi, Caroline . . . I've always shipped my larger bears in cardboard boxes.  I do put them in a bag first, then use a box that is a little larger than the bear.  I fill the space around the bear with padding of some sort, ie; shredded paper, foam peanuts, bubble paper, etc . . . whatever seems appropriate to you.  I make sure that there is no room for the bear to move around at all during transit, so it doesn't get crushed by careless handling.  Most department or hobby/craft stores sell packaging products and our postal offices also sell boxes of many sizes.  Hope that info helps with your question.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I agree with Sue Ann, and even Charlie bears get shipped in boxes. Here in the states, we can order boxes of any size from companies that deal in shipping supplies, but if you only need one, your postal office might be a better bet.

Cute bear, by the way!

Becky

Jenbee Barnetby Bears
England
Website

I have sent large bears before by buying a larger box from the post office. The large boxes are expensive, and I would much prefer to buy in bulk but despite a lot of research, I have yet to find a company that will supply a number of the size boxes I need for a good price. There is either a huge gap in the market, or I am looking in the wrong place!

I did buy a lot of small and medium boxes from Ebay which I use regularly, these worked out at about 5p a box which I thought was good, but deals like that seem quite rare and I could not get the same deal with large boxes. If you manage to find some, let me know!
bear_thumb

Caroline D Posts: 150
Website

Thank you for your replies. I guess I should  have been a bit more specific. bear_whistle I was thinking about  gift boxes, rather than just a box for shipping a bear in. I have a few bears for sale in a local bear shop, but none of them have gift boxes, and I think a lot of the  other artist bears there do. I think it looks more professional and...complete somehow, ( I haven't yet got around to certificates and other such touches either), and this is where I was thinking a box for such a large bear is a problem. But perhaps I am getting ahead of myself and I should just worry about actually selling any bears first!

Board footer