Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Caroline D Posts: 150
Website

Looking for advice. I've been commissioned to make a bear, for a 2 year old, so safety joints eyes etc, obviously, But his grandad, who asked me to make it, wants it to be...kind of an heirloom bear, i.e. one that lasts a long time, to be passed on, but cuddly and soft enough for a young child as well.. So I'm thinking mohair rather than faux fur, which is what I usually use. He wants it about 12" tall. I've already realised that I need to ask him if his grandson is allergic to animal hair! Of course he has no idea how many fabulous fabrics there are in the world, so I think I need to pin him down on colour and texture a bit too, if I can. Any thoughts, anyone? Thanks

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Just a few thoughts:
1. Mohair is wool, so if the child isn't allergic to wool, you're fine. (I know--it was once on a goat--but "animal hair" implies dander, which you won't find on washed and processed mohair fabric.)
2. I'd choose a shorter pile over a longer pile to discourage grabbing or pulling the pile.
3. Even if you use safety joints and eyes, the bear will probably not meet child safety standards for your country. I'd make sure the man understands that and uses his judgement--especially regarding the eyes. (With serious tugging from a young child, those could potentially pose a choking hazard.)
Becky

Caroline D Posts: 150
Website

HI Becky

Thanks for your thoughts. I checked and he isn't allergic. My partner is asthmatic, and it isn't just animal dander that sets him off, it's airborne fluff as well, so that why I thought I should make sure. I've ordered some golden alpaca, and safety eyes and joints. Perhaps I should dab some glue on the joins as well, just to make extra sure. but then I suppose the shank could just snap if it's pulled hard enough. But I'd have thought that was true of even CE marked toys, there's almost nothing a child can't destroy if it really wants to. And hopefully, with the cost of the bear, his parents will make sure he doesn't swing it around by one leg! I'm thinking of charging about  £80 to cover materials and time.

Board footer