Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Rin Sakura Bears
West Yorkshire

Hi everyone,

I practiced shading on a bear head I messed up previously but after three days the oil paint has not dried and still comes away on my finger when I touch it.  It seemed to work really well initially other than the fact that it won't dry.

I'm finding this aspect really hard as I've no idea what to shade with and all my attempts seem to end badly.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I have heard wax crayons as well as human makeup but want to use something that won't rub off as well.

Thanks in advance.

Infinite hugs
Rin

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Rin, here is a link to our library subject that might help you.   http://www.teddy-talk.com/search.php?ac … y&tag_id=2

Copi Khatz Creations Copi Khatz Creations
Worcester

Hi Rin,
Have you tried Copic markers? They are colourfast when dry and can be blended with the Copic blender pen to achieve more subtle effects. I can also recommend pastels - surprisingly, they don't rub off easily (I think the pastel adheres to the fibres of the fabric, much as it would adhere to paper) and you can build up colour gradually. I use pastel pencils, scribbling on paper to create pigment and then using a paintbrush to apply the pigment to the bear. I also use acrylic paint, very slightly diluted with Winsor and Newton Flow Improver.
Oil paint will take quite a while to become touch dry - around 2-12 days, depending on the thickness of the paint and the pigment used. I would tend to avoid oil paint blended with Linseed oil, as this oil can damage the fabric over time.
My personal recommendations would be Copi markers for shading and creating definition, pastels for adding colour and refining any shading done with the markers, and acrylic paint used sparingly for highlights.
I hope this helps. Best of luck! bear_original
Claire.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

you can use Prisma markers as well as Copic markers. it is inportant to heat set it so it does not fade. use Your hair dryer and wave it back and forth for a minute or two to set the color.

Rin Sakura Bears
West Yorkshire

Thank you for all your help Claire and Michelle.

I did keep going back to the fabric I painted with oil paint and it took 7 days to dry!  I didn't realise it took that long  bear_grin

Your suggestions are really good Claire thank you.  I tried pastels but rubbed them on the fabric instead of applying with a brush so I know how to do it properly now.  I did find some markers similar to Copic in The Works called Tinge Art Markers.  These are really good.  I could not afford the Copic ones as they seemed to be around £5.00 and over whereas the Tinge ones were 99p each.

Board footer