Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

PlushPuppy Posts: 110

Hi all, sorry I've not been on here for a while, I didn't just get the answers I wanted and run off, I've just been very busy. Since making the plush pom, I have made another one, this time experimenting with the stuffing to make it squishy instead of poseable! And a customer who brings her dog for grooming saw them and asked me to make a copy of her dog! To say I was astonished is an understatement, I've made two plushies after never sewing more than the old button and somebody is asking for a custom! Crazy! bear_wacko

Anyway, I agreed and have already sewn the body up. I inherited a sewing machine off my dear late gran, an old style Singer, its a wonderful, simple easy machine to work, especially as I had no previous experience using one, and instead of taking weeks, I had the body sewn up in two afternoons! This little dog is different to my others as it's made of mohair not faux fur. It looks so realistic and the backing is firmer so its much easier to work with. Its  also a lot more expensive  bear_tongue . I am currently waiting for some armature from CRs crafts and decided to do the ears and tail whilst waiting. The dog is a greyish color but with darker/black ears, and I got wondering how to apply this, because I had such difficulty getting hold of a color and length match in mohair, buying different mohair wasn't an option. Out of curiosity I coloured an offcut using a permanent black marker pen and so far, it looks ok, hasn't gone sticky, seems dry and not smudging.  But it got me wondering how is fabric actually shaded, google bought up Copic markers, but I can't find any info on how to use them. Do you just draw directly on to the fabric? If so what stops it rubbing off, or do they dry on their own in an hour or so? Or will the pen I've been using be fine to use? Any advice, as always is much appreciated! bear_original

Here is a pic of my second plushie pom, no armature this time, it's filled and weighted like a reborn baby doll for weight and cuddle-ability. It's made out of the coyote faux fur off faux throw.com:

2b6a8c23638abe0e5b4bc5f700847b67_zps01753196.jpg

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

Pink gave you a great tip! With scissor sculpting, it is always better to cut following the direction of the fur, and not doing it perpendicular to it. That way it looks more natural and even.
You did a great job with this puppy, can't wait to see the next one!

Board footer