Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

EJ Netcong, New Jersey

Hello, everyone....

so it's September, and that means we're heading to the UK for our vacation...and for the first time we'll be going to Hugglets!!!   My cousin and his wife are housesitting this year (rather than sending the three cats to Cat Camp, so I can save that money and use it for bears!!  Woohoo!  Perfect!)

Hugglets will be our first stop before heading down to Cornwall and beyond.... It seems I always miss the show by a week or two, but this time I MADE SURE we would make it (my husband Steve is THRILLED...well, "thrilled" might not be the EXACT word he used, more like "OMG, EJ at a bear show?  Maybe I should tag along and supervise..."), sooooo....I have no idea what to expect.   Those of you who have attended, any advice or words of wisdom???

Is it totally overwhelming?  Where should I start?  Bottom floor to the top?  Top to the bottom??   I see the website says to wear comfortable shoes.....that makes sense.   Should I get there super early???   Is it possible to spend the whole day at a teddy bear show (I think the answer might be yes)???  Seriously, anything you really liked about it or thought a newbie visitor to Hugglets should know before they go??

I look forward to see what you guys think......thank you.... bear_original

Tedz Tedz

I don't know anything about Hugglets, other than it's huge!  My only pearls of wisdom would be to advise you drop your husband off at any nearby pub first.  Not only will he be unaware of what you're buying, but maybe even oblivious or happy about it afterwards!  I would probably also wear some ridiculous heels too - as then there is also a reason to find a shoe shop (that can never be bad!) bear_grin Bears and shoe shopping in one day...life doesn't get any better!

Sorry, not helpful.  I'm jealous, I sooo wanted to go to that!  We can't afford it at the moment.  A trip to England is never cheap for us, as I have to stock up on everything I miss from 'home'. bear_rolleyes I would really think the sensible shoes and getting there early are a must.  Most importantly though, enjoy!  bear_original

EJ Netcong, New Jersey
Tedz wrote:

My only pearls of wisdom would be to advise you drop your husband off at any nearby pub first.  Not only will he be unaware of what you're buying, but maybe even oblivious or happy about it afterwards!  I would probably also wear some ridiculous heels too - as then there is also a reason to find a shoe shop (that can never be bad!) bear_grin Bears and shoe shopping in one day...life doesn't get any better! :)

OMG, I am still laughing.....you're very very funny, Tedz....and BRILLIANT!   Hmmmm...there's always room for one more pair of shoes... bear_grin

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp
EJ wrote:

Is it totally overwhelming?  Where should I start?  Bottom floor to the top?  Top to the bottom??   I see the website says to wear comfortable shoes.....that makes sense.   Should I get there super early???   Is it possible to spend the whole day at a teddy bear show (I think the answer might be yes)???  Seriously, anything you really liked about it or thought a newbie visitor to Hugglets should know before they go??
I look forward to see what you guys think......thank you.... :)

I remember my first visit as if it were yesterday, although it was five (I think) years ago. I will try to give you a bit of advice:

Is it totally overwhelming?   YES YES YES  :lol:
Where should I start?  Bottom floor to the top?  Top to the bottom??   It doesn't matter, because you will see so much beautiful stuff, your careful planned itinerary will be useless  :lol:
I see the website says to wear comfortable shoes.....that makes sense.   and dress lightly: it can get pretty hot in those halls
Should I get there super early???   Only if you are especially interested in one (or more) artists and want to get to his or her table immediately at the time of opening.  Some collectors will be there two hours before the opening of the doors... :wacko:
Is it possible to spend the whole day at a teddy bear show (I think the answer might be yes)???    YES YES YES; one day is too short!!!  :lol:
Seriously, anything you really liked about it or thought a newbie visitor to Hugglets should know before they go??   If you have the time you can check out most of the artists' website + a floorplan of all the exhibitors. https://www.hugglets.co.uk/festivalindex.php  That way, you can mark the floorplans with the artists you absolutely don't want to miss.

Finally, if you are thinking of adopting one or more bears, take into account that most artists only accept CASH!  There is an ATM just around the corner from Kensington Town Hall.   And don't forget to ENJOY, ENJOY, ENJOY!  bear_smile

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

I am green with envy....why don't they just move Hugglets to beginning of October, when there are holidays here in Switzerland?  bear_sad

Another idea might be to bring a medium sized backpack with you, so that you can store there everything you are bringing with you, or buying, and always have your hands free to enjoy better the experience! Have fun! bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

One important thing I forgot to mention: it's generally OK to take pictures of the bears, but please always ask permission of the artist first!  That's common courtesy and some artists are -rightly- sensitive to it.  bear_flower

EJ Netcong, New Jersey

Oh, thank you, Peterbear, so very much for that great advice!!!    Now I'm even more excited to go.... bear_original

(and about 1 a.m. I realized I posted it's on Saturday, but yes, I do know it's on SUNDAY......doh!....my teddy bear brain must be filled with fluff!  lol)

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

EJ, so did you go to Hugglets and get completely overwhelmed and smitten with oodles of bears? Inquiring minds want to know!  bear_laugh I would love to someday visit Hugglets. What fun it would be!

EJ Netcong, New Jersey

OMG, I LOVED HUGGLETS!!!!!   it was TOTALLY overwhelming and fantastic....met the loveliest people simply waiting in line for it to open!!!  Thank you, Peterbear, for the excellent advice....it happened to be quite warm in England when I was there, and I purposely dressed lightly!  Even so, it did get very warm in some of the halls, especially upstairs.  Next time I'm bringing a backpack, too. 

I loved this show because there were phenomenal artist bears, new manufactured bears, antique bears, bearaphernalia -- a mix of other things, jewelry, clothes for bears, and no kidding, my husband Steve was so fascinated by it, he bought himself one of those little growler mechanisms lol.....

I haven't been on here in a while....when i returned i had a very heavy workload to make up, and then....a week ago...I had gangrenous appendicitis and emergency surgery at 1:00 in the morning!!! Yikes!!  but all is better now...and since I have the next couple of days off while i'm recuperating (easy-peasy), I will check out all the postings that I've missed! 

I'll put up some pictures in the next day or two of the bears, bunnies and sheep i bought at Hugglets...plus of course, the Charlie bear from the Exmoor Teddy Bear shop in Minehead, and let's not forget I just had to buy SOMETHING at Teddy Bears of Witney!!!  and I'm definitely going back to the House of Bears in Bath, and next time I'll do more than just look at the lovely bears! bear_grin

rikkisbears NSW Australia

Wow, that's a nasty thing to come back to. Hope you're much better. Which charlie bear did you get?
I just luv them. Look forward to your pics.

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

I am so sorry to hear of your emergency surgery! So glad you're on the mend now!

Thank you for sharing a little bit of your adventures at Hugglets. I really want to go someday! Would love to see the pictures of your newly adopted bears, bunnies, and sheep. I love that your hubby bought something, too.  bear_thumb

Board footer