Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi Everyone!

Well, we've accepted an offer on our house  bear_grin  but I'm still holding my breath till we actually close on the deal.  In the meantime, hubby has asked me to research a few things (joy of joys... NOT!)

Cable internet is NOT available at the new house (rats! I am SO spoiled!) and I don't believe DSL is either.

Our friends (whose house we are buying) use Direcway for their Satallite Internet Service but hubby wanted me to also research other providers.

Anyone have any experience - good or bad with any?

Thanks!!

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:clap:  :clap: Yeahhhhh!!!! for the offer on your house...I'll keep holding my breath for you too til the deal is done. 

When we moved here about a year ago, we got landed with DSL via Sprint.  Believe me, I moaned and whined, and tried everything under the sun NOT to have Sprint.  However, we had no choice as the cabling didn't run across the railroad track dividing the town ~ go figure!  I have to say I've been impressed with the DSL.  Its actually been more reliable than the cable and just as fast. 

I do have friends that live in seriously rural Missouri, and they have friends that swear by the satellite option.  For us, it was a bit spendy, so we thought it over, and in the end decided it would suit our needs.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

We have Comcast cable . . . I'd give it a B minus for service.  And HUGE congrats on the sale of your house!!!  That didn't take very long and I'm sure you'll be more than relieved when closing is over.   :clap:   :clap:   :clap:

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

We have Direct TV... we had comcast .... we will NEVER have comcast again if we can help it HA!

we have Verizon DSL for our internet... we did have AOL dialup... AOL dialup was more expensive (i think... you would have to ask my hubby) and slower...

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Laura Lynn

Hooorayyyyyyyy   we can all hold our collective breath for you.  That is so great!  Congratulations!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

OH DODO ME... I'm sorry, I forgot to say, CONGRATS ON SELLING YOUR HOUSE!!!! now comes the fun part, MOVING!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

:clap:  bear_thumb  Congratulations on almost selling your house, Laura!  :hug: What a load off your mind!

We've got Rogers Cable, which is okay and much better than dialup, but I'd definitely go with satellite.

Eileen

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Best of luck with the sale of your house and moving Laura Lynn - exciting times.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

How exciting!!!!!!!! The offer will go thru and you'll be closing before you know it and off to the next chapter of your lives!! A date set to close yet???

We actually have DSL through our little local phone company now. But have used DIRECTV (satelite) in the past and had no problems. We still have our satelite service thru them. We only switched to our local company when they had a really cheap introductory offer we couldn't refuse for DSL.

Nicholasville, KY
Website

Thank you EVERYONE!!!!  I am actually not excited yet... I guess I'm just waiting till it really starts to happen before I believe it  bear_wacko   

Thanks for all your input on the ISP stuff too bear_original

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

Just wanted to add my congrats, Laura !
Sorry I cannot help you with any experience on all the 'fast stuff'...only dial up here in rural Georgia.  bear_sad
I can tellyou I really dislike it....ALOT!!!!
Nanc....

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Yahoo! Congratulations of the house offer! :dance:

I will say a little prayer that the deal goes through for you. :pray:

Sorry I can't help with the internet service question.  bear_sad  Here in the wooly woods, all we get is dial-up which is very sloooooooowwwwwww....

hugs,

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hi Laura Lynn ,
Congratulations on selling your house! bear_smile

Nicholasville, KY
Website

THanks everyone!!   bear_original

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

Congrats on selling your house!! :clap:  :dance:  :hug:  when will you close???

I have only known two people with satellite, and never noticed any difference in their service i.e. faster, better, than DSL.  So no help there. Sorry.

Kathy

Nicholasville, KY
Website

Hi Kathy and thanks!  Still working on the closing date.  We're going with Stallite because we can't get anything but dial up ... no DSL either... as the "new" house is in an unincorporated area and NOT densly populated (a good thing!)  But thank you anyways bear_original

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

I know what you mean about not densly populated. I live out in the country, we had to wait a year to get DSL, before that it was just dial up, can't afford the satellite. Poor kids of mine a still stuck watching public television. HaHa!  I prefer 10 channels of nothing to watch to 400 channels of nothing to watch! Anyway Grandma and Grandpa have satellite they can go there and watch if they really want too.

Good luck again and Congrats! I'll Keep a finger crossed for your closing!!!

Kathy

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Congratulations Laura!  How exciting!!!  I am sure you will be very very busy with moving all your things.  You'll have to show us a photo of your new house when you get a chance.

I have Direcway Satellite Internet.  We use cable for our TV but they do not provide internet cable so that is why I had to go with satellite.  I wish DSL could reach us here, that would be my first choice.

Satellite is okay.  This is how it was explained to me.  When you have cable or phone internet, the information travels to a location at which point it goes to a satellite.  The info then returns from the satellite to your cable or phone line.  Therefore, having your own satellite eliminates the middle step.  It has never broken down on me however, during severe thunderstroms I have temporarily lost transmission.  The nice thing is that I have a vertical box which glows blue(very space-age looking)  next to each of the following:   Lan, Transmit. Receive, System, Power.  If there is any trouble the light next to problem area will blink or go out completely.  You can check status on line which will tell you of any problem your satellite may be experiencing.

Satellite should be the fastest internet available but I found that mine is slowing down.  I think it just could be my computer.  I have had my computer for five years...and by todays standards I am outdated. :doh:

Nicholasville, KY
Website

Thanks Kathy :)

Thank you Judi!  That is the company we are considering as our friends who owned the house before us used them... I was just looking for other feedback besides them :)

As for the thunderstorms.... for us it doesn't matter because we turn off our computers during storms anyways :)

I understand about the "slowing down" thing.  We've had broadband for years and had a slowing down problem too.  We got a new computer and the problem was fixed.

BIg hugz!!   :hug:

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Oh my goodness Laura! I am so very happy for you! You do not worry about the offer everything is going to be just fine. I don't know if Bell Express Vu is available in your country but we have it and love it.!

Many Hugs Louise

Nicholasville, KY
Website

THank you so much my dear Louise!!!   :hug:

Board footer