Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Do any of our British TTers know anything about Horse Brasses? My latest addiction . . .

I bought a few on eBay, thinking they'd be neat Teddy ornaments. They're a bit heavy for most teddies, but now I love the things!  bear_wub

I bought my husband about 16 Dickens-character Horse Brasses for Christmas, since he's teaching Dickens' novels in the coming term. They made him all nostalgic and homesick!

Eileen

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Eileen I don't know what you want to know about them but in years gone by I believe they used to put them onto the Draft Horses to keep away evil spirits but then they were used to decorate the horses, in horse shows.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

could you post a pic Eileen?  I'm not getting it.....

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Yes, horse brasses!!! My in-laws have loads them hanging around their antique barn in Maine. Actually, they decorate a wall in the house now. I had NO idea what they were for the longest time and felt too stupid to ask. So, although most aren't worth a whole lot (not around here anyway) I now buy them when ever I see them at an antique shop.

I was thinking they were a silly thing to collect but am glad to know I'm not the only one. Perhaps one day they'll be worth something??? My favorite is the thistle. I have a book, somewhere... that tells what each design means. Have you seen this list? I'll have to look for the book when we're at the farm in the spring as I left it up there.

Great idea to hang them around a bear's neck. You are so creative!!!

Hugs,
Daphne

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

YES!!  I have two of the straps hanging in my bear room, a longer one to hang off the collar and a shorter one that would hang off the brow band.  I love mine dearly, and I'm thoroughly amazed at just how many designs there are ~ thousands of them!! 

You shouldn't have to worry about bad luck with them around!  bear_thumb

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Here's a website for Horse Brasses. A huge selection of horse brasses, old and new and the history and lots of picutres! http://www.antiquehorse.com/

Here's a picture of them for those having no clue as to what we're talking about!  bear_wacko   bear_grin
modernfront996.jpg   2ndbellstrappage4.JPG

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

3c_1.jpgbear_original  :hug:  Great info!! Thanks, Bearbuddies!

I do have a pic of a couple of horses wearing their brasses --

Oooh, you've got ringers on yours Daphne!!!  bear_wub  I've only seen pictures of them.... I also love the ones that have the porcelain pictures on them. 

I can't seem to get pics of my two on here...  bear_sad  ah well....

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

20.60.00.greensmudge.jpgbear_original  Some of mine!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

24.40.40.charlesd419.jpgbear_original And more . . .

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

Gosh, those are beautiful.  How regal the horses look with them on their foreheads.  I could see where a person could get caught up in collecting those.  It would be fun (if you owned a horse) to decorate your horse with one.
Very interesting...thanks Eileen for asking the question.
Where does one find such things?
Nanc.....

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Eileen how fabulous they look. My Islay Grandfather had them down each side of his fireplace at home and he cleaned them himself,he lived to be 99 too.  If I see any nice ones I'll be in touch.   Hugs Rita xxx

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh Daphne those were beautiful, and the picture you posted Eileen made if al click into place.  These are lovely items.  I can see why folks would collect them  And the bells would be fun.  Thank you ladies for sharing with us.

:hug:

dilu

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

This is very interesting...just a few days ago we were at my nieces for Christmas dinner, we stepped out on the back patio. She has a collection of windchimes...one I hadn't seen she said her hubby gave her...they were real old antique horse sleigh bells.

My son lives in Colorado and one job he has, he drives a team of draft horses that pull a wagon  from way out into the country where vacationing guests stay at a log cabin lodge  into town twice a day to resterants, etc. three times a week. Jimmy drives one trip and a friend drives the other...Jim says he has to stand up on a step stool just to put their harnesses on. WHat fun, they wear some fancy tack. My son and his wife are horse trainers and have clinics to train people too. What they do is quite remarkable with problem horses.... Winney

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

My latest addiction...

Eileen they are lovely and might be the start of many more, for your collection.

Hugs
Carolyn

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original  What a comfort to know that there are other horse-brass-ers on TT! I was going to quit after Christmas, since I started buying them as presents for Hubs, horsey Sister and son-in-law-with-Bar, but . .  :hug:

Nance, I've found all of mine on eBay--just search 'horse brasses'. The prices vary from about $2 to almost $200 US, depending on rarity and age and who knows what else. I've been going for the bargains, since the postage from the UK is high, considering the weight of these things.

Debbie, there are several porcelain-faced brasses on eBay now.

Rita, do let me know if you see anything yummy or old--I think I'm settling down to collecting animals and geometric shapes, and maybe occupations.

Winney--your niece is a very lucky lady! The antique sleigh bells go for big $$ The old cast-brass bells have the most amazing sound. My sister had to give up her horses  bear_cry , since they're moving to McAllen Texas. The older 3 went to a therapy farm affiliated with the U of Missouri, where they help kids and adults with various problems. The younger 3 are now part of U of Missouri's fancy equestrian team (Arabians only). I'm taking one of her Border Collies--the one named Bear! Just a coincidence. He's hopeless as a herder, but protects cats and ferrets, which gives me hope that he won't eat my bunnies!

Daphne thanks for the link! I didn't know there was a site like that in N. America. Neat. I've got one book called All About Horse Brasses by Richardson. I'm looking for more.

Eileen

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

We had loads of brasses decorating our fireplace at home. Not just horse brasses but coal buckets/brushes, figures and other ornaments. They were everywhere! Actually, I'm now wondering where they've all gone to....I'll have to have a dig around!

I love the Dicken's brasses you bought, Eileen. I haven't seen any like those before  bear_thumb

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

1.99.whaleoilWEB.jpgbear_original  The Dickens brasses are great--based on the original Phiz illustrations.

But here's one of my favorites!

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Eileen that one is so beautiful ,no wonder you fell in love with them. How about a Robert Burns one ,I'll keep my eyes open for you.  Have a Great New Year .. Rita xxxx

ps,Going to Helensburgh next week on the 5th ..

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original  Oooh, goody Rita!

Don't forget pix of your bears in the shoppe!

Eileen

Estelle Estelles canal bears and Tod Teddies
Todmorden West Yorkshire

being a Brit I hate to admit the best site for British horse brasses is in the USA they have terets ringers flat brasses everything you coul think of all and most from the UK take a look  bear_grin
http://antiquehorse.com/index.html

bear_grin  Yes, but if you look on ebay, all the horse brasses are for sale in the UK!!  bear_ermm  Pretty funny....

I can't have anymore... I'm saving my pennies for mohair and bears ....gotta keep my priorities straight!  bear_grin

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

6c.9.15.brassnbrass.jpgbear_grin  OK Debbie--want to be my HBA (HorseBrassesAnonymous) lifeline?  bear_grin

But look at this shepherd. . .

Board footer