Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

jellybiehn Posts: 13

Okay, so working with black fur and any faux fur with a black backing has been a pet peeve of mine for a while now. Was wondering if anyone would be willing to share what works best for them when trying to mark out the pattern. I cannot seem to find anything that will mark the fabric easily. My current marking tool does an okay job, but I definitely cannot get a precise line out of it and it ends up distorting the pattern pieces.

Any advice would be helpful, thanks!
Jessi

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I use a chalk pencil to mark dark fabrics, and since the line is kind of imprecise, I follow the inside of the chalk line (the unmarked area that's been covered by the pattern piece during the marking) when I cut the fabric. That works well for me.

Becky

koonienett Lüdinghausen
Website

Hi Jessi,
it took a long time, till I found the right thing for me.
Actually I use a Gel-Pen  "uni-ball Signo broad". First I tried white , but in the meantime I think silver  seams a little bit better. May be I try also Gold.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I use a white pastel pencil to mark dark fur.

student bearmaker Northern Ireland

I use a chalk wheel pen,either in white or silver. I find it gives accurate marking on both curves and straight lines.
Here's what it looks like.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clover-Chaco-Li … over+chalk

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

I also use a pastel pencil like Joanne, although I prefer to use it red instead of white. You have to keep it sharp to have a fine enough line. I have an endless supply of them, I just go and take one from the children's pencil box!!!  :-)

jellybiehn Posts: 13

Thank you so much for the tips! I will have to give them a try with the next bear.
Jessi

Board footer