Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

MadScientwist Posts: 65

Hello,
   I think I have needle sculpted before...and didn't even know that is what it is called. I want to improve the bears I am working on by doing this technique correctly. I have searched this site and have found where some people wrote instructions for it but I am still not sure I am understanding. My question is...does anyone know of a book or website where I can see pictures? I am a visual person and I think I will be able to figure this technique out... I just need to see a few pictures first.
Thanks!

amber Honey Valley Bears
Toronto

I don't know that you will really find any pictures.  Let me see if I can discribe it for you.  I tend to be a very visual person too and I had trouble understanding it at first.  Better still send me a PM with your email address and I will try to draw pictures out for you and scan and email them to you.  I might have something at home if I don't give me a few days and I'll see what I can come up with for you.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

I do have some needle sculpting (Thx, Amy!) done on fabric bears, from a book I wrote in '95.
Let me pull it out and scan some of the drawn images and text on working the faces/muzzles/eye areas. That will give you some basic places to start. We have out-of-town family coming in tomorrow and we'll be showing off the Chicago area with them until mid-weekend.

There are virtually no places that can't be improved on a bear with a little (or a lot) of needle sculpting, but the head/face are good starting points. So look through your reject baskets for a head or two that didn't quite turn out as you'd hoped, or make up a basic head and stuff it, so you can practice next week!

Stay tuned!

hggzzz
Bobbie

student bearmaker Northern Ireland

Hi Bobbie,
I came across this older post when searching for some info on needle sculpture.I've only made 11 teddy bears so far as a hobby and would like to progress to the more advanced techniques such as needle sculpture.If you still have the info you refer to I would really appreciate a copy.
I particularly want to create a long,pear drop shaped muzzle and wonder is this achieved with needle sculpting stitches from the inner eye down the side of the muzzle to under the chin? I struggle with symmetry so need some aid to help get the right balance.Would you mark the outline with pins and wrap thread around the pins to get the shape and then zig zag stitches across the muzzle from pin to pin?
Apologies if this sounds like  gobblygook I'm just guessing and could be completely wrong.
Thank you

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

quote=student bearmaker]Hi 'bearmaker'
I'm pleased that you wrote—I'd quite forgotten about this post.

"I particularly want to create a long,pear drop shaped muzzle and wonder is this achieved with needle sculpting stitches from the inner eye down the side of the muzzle to under the chin?"

If I'm understanding your question, you'd like the muzzle to appear as thought it has a 'lip line' or wider sides across the muzzle bottom edges that across the top, when viewed for the front ( a long,pear drop shaped muzzle).
Meaning that instead of the normal rounded muzzle, you'd like one which is slightly wider across the bottom half when viewed from the front.
Part of this is the shape (aka the cutting line) of the muzzle along its lower edge; it needs to be have extra depth here to accommodate the amount which will be pulled up in needle sculpting.
The rest is what you thought: additional pulling up to shape the eye sockets and at the same time—shaping the nuzzle at the points which begin to flare out into the face, all around the base of the muzzle.

" I struggle with symmetry so need some aid to help get the right balance."
When I taught it was easiest for students to understand symmetry by turning the body part upside-down. Your eye can find imbalances more easily this way than seeing the ted's eyes and mouth, etc.. where one expects them to be in a face.
Taking a picture and viewing this onscreen, flipped upside down, it becomes most clear, when, through a photo-editing program like Photoshop®, it's possible to draw straight lines N to South & East to W across the image and see what parts are not in line with the matching other half.

Would you mark the outline with pins and wrap thread around the pins to get the shape and then zig zag stitches across the muzzle from pin to pin?
I'm not certain where you're placing these pins....If you send me your e addy, to rkr4cds@att.net I can go into this further and in more detail, with images to emphasize my meaning.

Thx again for your question; I may've left the bear community a while ago, but still do like trouble shooting and sharing my experiences!
Warmly,
Bobbie

student bearmaker Northern Ireland

bear_thumb Many thanks Bobbie for your very helpful reply.
I haven't yet progressed to my own pattern design as I am still practicing and developing my skills by making bears with patterns I've purchased.
I will email a photo of a pattern that illustrates the type of muzzle style  I would like  to create and describe my idea of  pins and thread approach in more detail.
Very beary wishes

Board footer