Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

student bearmaker Northern Ireland

I read recently in a bearmaking book that in the past bear artists used to pad joint discs with a circle of felt sewn around the joint to help disguise the joint being felt on the outside. However it seems this technique is rarely used nowadays.I'm thinking it would be useful if you wanted to make a softly stuffed bear but it would be difficult to achieve a tight fitting joint because of the added thickness of fabric between the discs.
I wonder does anyone do this and if so what difference it makes ?

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I would think that the felt would not be between the disks, but rather on the "outsides" of the disk "sandwich"? (That's just the easiest way I can think of to say it.) So it would just be between a disk and some stuffing. It sounds as if it could be helpful for as long as the glue lasts.

Becky
P.S. Hmmm.... Just re-read this and noticed you said "sew," not "glue." I guess I'm imagining something different: a felt circle just a bit larger than the disk. Glued to the outside, the felt edge would extend beyond the disk and cushion it a bit. Maybe?

bear_original Thanks Becky for responding.
The diagram does show the circle of felt like a filling in a sandwich between the mohair and the disc and it is gathered around the joint with a row of stitches around the edge of the felt circle,similar to how you close the neck opening of a head.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I think I get it now. bear_original It sounds a bit fiddly, but it would certainly cover the edges of the joint that way. My guess is that you'd still be able to tighten the joint, and if it's a soft-stuffed bear, maybe you don't want an overly tight joint anyway? Let us know if you give it a try!

Becky

bear_thumb Many thanks Becky. I agree,tight joints would be less in keeping with a softly stuffed bear.I usually make bears around 10 to 12 inches but I have a pattern I'd like to try for a big boy of 24 inches so I think I'll give the padded discs a try.I'll let you know how it works out.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Just recently I started using felt on the outside of the disks in the the arms and legs. I do it for just the same reason, I make softly stuffed bears. In the past I filled the area around the disk tightly with stuffing, and then I took stitches back and forth through the stuffing and fabric to keep it from shifting. I am finding it easier just to fold a piece of felt and work it around the disk after I tighten the joints. I still take a couple of stitches back and forth to keep it from shifting, but it is much faster and easier to firm up that area with the felt.

That's good to know that you've found felt successful for concealing joints.
I'm going to give it a try.
Thanks  bear_flower

edmondnutmeg Padfield bears
Derbyshire
Website

I have an old book also describing this method and tried it once but like you suggested didn't like the bulk it created under the joint. I adapted it by using thin strong calico ie I glued a circle of fabric to the underside of the disc and then gathered/stuffed to a ballish shape after inserting the cotter pin through the disc and fabric and tucked the gathered calico neck into the ball and stitched over to avoid a lump. I wanted some nice round fat shoulders. It did work but it meant leaving a large opening in the arms to get the added bulk through the gap so more ladder stitching up afterwards. It was a bit faffy stuffing too which is why I did n't do it again Joanne's methods sound much easier!
michelle

Good to know of your experience in using this technique and its disadvantages.
Thanks Michelle  bear_thumb

Board footer