Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

scottish67 Posts: 6

Hi everyone!

I've spent the past four months trying to locate a specific teddy bear that my wife had as a child. It would mean the world to her if I'm able to find it:

The bear is from the late 90's and was originally sold through stores like K-Mart (that's where my wife originally saw the bear). The bear, once squeezed, would say "Mmm, that was a good hug"

If anyone knows where I can find this bear or knows more information, it would be eternally appreciated. Money is no object and I'll do whatever I can to located and hopefully purchase this bear.

Thank you.

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Yep!  I know about tracking down Teddy Bears for my wife!
You wouldn't believe what I had to go through to get her a 25th Anniversary Edition, FAO Exclusive, Snuffles!   bear_wacko

If I come up with anything I'll let you know.
Is it a K-Mart branded Bear like the WalMart branded "Snowflake" Bears?
Or, was it a general production Bear that was sold at K-Mart?

In the mean time, I do know about one similar Bear you can look at.  He's a Hallmark branded Bear, produced in 2011.  He says about a dozen different phrases when you squeeze him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XlC3iaT2Bw

I'm sure you can find those Hallmark Bears on eBay.

If I get any other ideas, I'll shout.  bear_original

EJ Netcong, New Jersey

Yep, i was going to suggest the same bear (great minds think alike).  Not exactly the same, but awfully close!

Here's a link to one on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Valentine-Hallm … 3641.l6368

I hope that's helpful!

:0)

Thanks everyone, but I don't think that's the right one. I know for sure it wasn't from 2011.

She said it was from KMART, although I'm not sure what type of bear it was. My wife mentioned that she bought it but returned it so she could buy her mom's birthday present. Keep in mind she was around 8 years old when this happened so I want to do everything I can to find it.

I know it was from the late 90s/early 2000's and that when it was squeezed, it would say "That was a great hug" or something along those lines. I'll talk to her tonight and see if I can get further information.

Does anyone know of any teddy bear/vintage toy hunters that I could reach out to?

thanks again! bear_original  bear_original

Debbie Five Shelbyville, TN

Might the bear you are looking for be Maurice Sendak's  LITTLE BEAR? There were a couple of those that came out in the late 90's. I think one of them said several phrases and one of those was "I need a Hug" and he said "Let's go play" and he also giggled. You might check eBay  bear_thumb   Debbie 5

Thanks again for the reply and for offering a potential solution. I'll look out for that specific bear and see if it works, although my wife doesn't think it's the one.

I found out more information from her last night:

1. It was a medium sized brown bear, although she can't remember the brand
2. She remembers it saying "that was a good hug", this is the only solid thing she can remember other than the color/size.
3. She is positive she saw it at KMART.

Do you think it would be a good idea to reach out to the merchandising team at KMART to see if they know what I'm talking about?

Thanks again!  bear_original

Anyone have any ideas? It's been five days since I last heard from anyone and I haven't made any progress. I emailed KMART but didn't get a response.

Please let me know if there is anywhere else I can try and find out the identity of this teddy.

Thanks everyone. I haven't given up hope yet  bear_sad

Missjune75 Posts: 14

Hope you found it by now..but these Uneeda bears seem to fit the description. They made several models
http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNEEDA-TALKING- … 0479933618
Or this one..
https://www.etsy.com/listing/175553805/ … dy-bear-17

LitWit Posts: 298
scottish67 wrote:

Thanks again for the reply and for offering a potential solution. I'll look out for that specific bear and see if it works, although my wife doesn't think it's the one.

I found out more information from her last night:

1. It was a medium sized brown bear, although she can't remember the brand
2. She remembers it saying "that was a good hug", this is the only solid thing she can remember other than the color/size.
3. She is positive she saw it at KMART.

Do you think it would be a good idea to reach out to the merchandising team at KMART to see if they know what I'm talking about?

Thanks again!  :)

I actually got a bear for Christmas in the late 90s that said "Mmmm-mmm! That was a good hug!" I don't think it was a K-mart brand bear. I'll google for a while and see what I can find.

Thanks everyone!

Missjune2015- I showed the etsy listing to my wife and she starting to tear up because she thinks that's the one. Unfortunately it's already sold. Anyone have any idea where I can get a bear like the one in the etsy listing? I believe it's a UNEEDA Darling teddy bear with sound. Thank you!

Litwit- the saying "mmmmm that was a good hug" is what's critical. Anything you can find out would be much appreciated!

Looks like it was a Uneeda bear. I found this one, which says all of the things that I remember mine saying. It looks different, though, so the company probably made several versions with the same talking mechanism:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181793849655?_t … EBIDX%3AIT

This one looks like the one that I had: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Uneeda-Huggy-Te … 463d601d68

There's another one on ebay too, that looks like the same one, but it doesn't have the tag.

All,

Thank you very much for helping me find this bear. The one that LitWit found on eBay was correct! I purchased it and my wife couldn't be happier. For anyone else who may be looking, the bear is a Uneeda Huggy Teddy Bear; I've found there are various version of the bear that say the same thing. I think it was originally released in the early 90's, the one we found on eBay was from 1996.

Thanks again!

Here is a pic of the bear!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

How wonderful that your wife is happy! Thanks for following up with this update. bear_original

Becky

That's great! I'm so glad that your wife finally has her special bear! ;D

Board footer