Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

LitWit Posts: 298

Okay, technically this isn't bear-related, but I figured folks on this forum would know more about faux fur than your average...bear (couldn't help myself). ;)

Is it true that polyester fur isn't as durable as acrylic fur, and won't hold up to washing as well? I'm looking to buy one of those faux mink/plush blankets, and I've read the above, but I'm skeptical that the source (a blanket website) is just trying to sucker me into a more expensive acrylic blanket. So is there any truth to the claim? Will polyester fur matt/shed/pill/fray more than acrylic, or is there no difference?

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Is the blanket made from a long-pile faux, like the stuff we might use to make a bear? If so, advice I've seen from suppliers is that it's not washable, and that hot water or a hot dryer will totally ruin it.

I once got two pieces of Tissavel (acrylic) that had a mildew smell. (A few other folks might remember this since several of us had the same complaint. The supplier told us it could be aired out, but not washed.) I think I got a refund, but was also able to keep the fur, so the supplier was nice about it at least. I had it cleaned at my local dry-cleaner, and that did change the texture a bit, though the fur was still quite usable.

I'd be interested to hear whether anyone here has successfully washed faux fur.

Becky

No, it's short and dense, almost velvety. Cold wash, line dry is what I'm planning to do.

http://www.importedblankets.com/store/s … k-blanket/

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Oh, nice! Well, back to your original question, the "good stuff" in faux faur for bearmaking is made from acrylic, so they may be telling you the truth.

Cool blanket.  bear_original

Becky

Okay, that's helpful to know. I'll spring for an acrylic one. Now I'm just torn between the twin size (I have a twin bed, and there probably won't be as much overhang as I would like) and this gorgeous, huge, super heavy one (about 14 more inches, and 14 pounds!!):

trixrosebrown_jpg_e280c3d1e86bc7b4b42d8673774be600.jpg

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Yep...nice!  bear_original  soft, warm, and such a bold design!

Becky

About washing faux fur- I did successfully handwash some of that antique plush that you find on German carnival bears:

il_570xN.550289819_f7c8.jpg

Mine was golden yellow, but very dirty and matted.  I disassembled him to work on him, since he was stuffed with excelsior. Careful washing and combing yielded excellent results. Warm water, not hot; gentle soap; and line dry.

I also washed my vintage Avanti bear, and he came out as good as new after line drying and brushing.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Good to know it's possible, and what a beautiful blue boy!

Becky

dangerbears wrote:

Good to know it's possible, and what a beautiful blue boy!

Becky

I know! I really love these old carnival bears, because they're so bright and fluffy. "In person" there's even a certain sheen to the fur, and it's surprisingly fine. I wonder if there are any modern equivalents?

Board footer