Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Estelle Estelles canal bears and Tod Teddies
Todmorden West Yorkshire

I may be shouting a lot for help over the next few days. I have never made a mohir bear and yesterday I received a phone call from a lady saying she wanted one of my bears having seen them in a local gallery but only collected mohair bears. I rushed to meet her as she was going away for two weeks I showed her mohair samples I had (allways intende to start on mohair after Christmas) she chose a fabric which is made locally and I shall have it tommorrow, the bear has to be 152 tall witha simmillar face to the one she had seen. Please be ready to help I am absolutely petrified of messung up as she has paid 3/4 of the price up front plus the extra for my getting next day dellivery on the fabric help helpready to pnic  :redface:

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Estelle I don't think you will have any trouble .....if you have worked with synthetic mohair is a breeze honest ...

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Mohair is manna from Heaven.  You won't have any trouble at all. 

If you are used to using dense synthetic and you have only very sparse mohair your finished look will be somewhat different, but it's much easier to run mohair thru your machine (or fingers, I would think!), and pretty much the same to stuff (only it stretches less.)

Enjoy yourself!

Deb Upstate New York
Estelle wrote:

I am absolutely petrified of messung up as she has paid 3/4 of the price up front plus the extra for my getting next day dellivery on the fabric help helpready to pnic  :redface:

Easy girl ... mohair is absolutely the most forgiving fabric there is!  It'll be okay.  (But know we're here just the same.)

Gatehouse Bears Gatehouse Gallery
Lockwood, Victoria, Australia

Yep, don't panic, mohair is SO much easier than synthetic (particularly the dense stuff) its so much easier to stuff without so much stretching.....how many times have I said 'so much'?  You know we're all here if you need help but I think you'll be fine bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I agree! remember my posting about trying to embroider a nose on synthetic (oh so difficult!) but on mohair it is much easier! Mohair is loverlee schtuff!  bear_wub

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Good luck, Estelle . . . everybody is sooooo right on!!  Mohair is MUCH easier to work with - - you'll love it!

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Hi Estelle
You'll be alright!!! bear_thumb

Mohair, like all the other girls said, is a dream to work with - no stretch and not as dense as synthetic so it will be a breeze for you to make this bear.

What i want to know is.....WHAT MOHAIR SUPPLIER ARE YOU USING IF IT IS MADE LOCALLY????? We girls are always after a new supplier so don't keep us in suspenders Estelle pleeeeze
:pray:   :pray:   :pray:

Let us have a picture of the bear too if possible, when it's finished - we are a nosy bunch of gals  bear_whistle

Penny  :hug:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
Todmorden West Yorkshire

thanks for the boost I just got in a panic. I was on a high after meeting the client she said such nice things about my bears. When I had orered the fabric panic set in, feel better now after all your encouragement. :dance:  :dance:

Penny,
the supplier is in Bradford and does next day delivery,they do German and English mohair the one my customer chose is actually made and died there. The range is limited but I try to buy locally if I can. below is their url bear_flower

https://www.noblecraft.co.uk/html/noble_bear_hair.html

The one orderd is 13mm peach /black hairs, take a look :lol:
the bear ordered has  to be something like this one but a littlt fatter, I explained I couldnt make it axactly alike ( not that clever)
boxlid2002.jpg

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Whoa! That was one awesome looking mohair!  bear_shocked  You'll have a lot of fun with this, I'm SURE of it...and the new owner will be thrilled with her one of a kind bear  bear_flower

Todmorden West Yorkshire

Well the mohair has arrived but it is a little crumpled I want to wet it and comb it so it all lays nicely before cutting, what is the best way to do this ?should I use a damp sponge or spray the fur with water or maybe steam would be better. How do you wet your mohiar.  bear_ermm

Todmorden West Yorkshire

well the bear is cut and sewn MY MACHINE LOVES MOHAIR my poor machine has been fighting synthetics for years it has just sewn its first mohair and is in love I am sure I heard it purrrrrrrring You were all so right it is lovely stuff. I just hope it looks  good  when its finnished, good or bad I shall show you all so be kind please  bear_original

Todmorden West Yorkshire

Oh Oh now I am nervous I am taking gaddings my first mohair to meet his new owner tomorrow (please god let her like it) please keep your fingers crossed folks  :redface:  bear_wacko  :redface:

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

I'm sure crossed fingers aren't necessary! When do we get to see him?  bear_grin  hehe

Todmorden West Yorkshire

thanks Sandi
I posted him on showcase when I finished him I have been waiting for his new owner to come back from a trip to the middle east, I just wish I were more confident about her reaction  :redface:

Oops...I haven't been on as much lately and it's hard trying to catch up! I just found him and I think he's wonderful! I'm sure she will love him!

Todmorden West Yorkshire

thanks Sandi I have just got back and she loved him it is to cellebrate the birth of ababy expected tomorrow I am so relieved she liked him

bear_thumb Well, of course she loved him! He's so cute, how could she not? So will there be more mohair bears in your future?

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Estelle

Oh you are so cute.....just read this entire subject- start to finish as I hadn't had a chance before. 

I am so glad you like mohair.

Here's a secret for you about mohair....It does stretch a wee bit, especially if your  pattern doesn't run on the straight.....however....this is the really neat thing about mohair, you can stretch it( by pulling or shrink it up but using steam from your iron.  Synthetics don't do that.  Also sometimes you might have a tiny bit too much on one arm as you are closing?  again the mohair will work with you.

I enjoyed your saga.

Will you be using more mohair now or returning to synthetics?

Just curious.....now i want to have a look see at the finished product...

I am glad you can relax now and enjoy your success. 

Hugs.

dilu

Todmorden West Yorkshire

Oh thank you so much for the tips Dilu I have already bought more mohair and the shop I supply is keen to try them on their customers, I owe a lot of my success with that first one to reading everyones tips on here. I have designed four smaller bears in the same fur as I had a little left and bought a fat quater to go with it they should be quite different to each other so that is my project for after Christmas.Thanks again
Estelle

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Estelle ........Is the bear finished yet.? Would luv to see it!!!!!!!! bear_thumb    Matilda

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Only just found this thread - I enjoyed reading it!  It took me back to my finger chewing days when I was absolutely terrified of making a sale!

Glad it all worked out so well for you Estelle - this is only the begining I'm sure!

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Yes I spotted him. I had already seen him without realising. Cute bear. bear_thumb

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

So now the first one is out of the way she can go off and do a heap more.  bear_happy

Board footer