Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

duff Deedle Bears
Dallas

Oh so many ideas!      Great discussion, although I must admit that on my first attempt with a larger bear, I wish this thread had been started about two weeks ago, I have failed.       Did not trim the muzzle of my newest creation and then had a slip or two...   One head gone awry!    I have taken the head off, I am now starting over!    I think I will go with lightly shaping/ trimming (now that I have an extra head to play with  bear_angry ) the head 1st.      Thanks to everyone for the overview of how you start the head!   And to think the nose was probably the best nose I have ever done   bear_cry

Thank you all for the great ideas! 

Duff

Good News Eileen, you'll not have to suffer through the first head!

nettie scotland
Website

I trim the three head parts but not too close .That way I can shape the muzzle better cos the furs not in the way disguising the outline.Once I have done the ears eyes and mouth I trim the muzzle and pluck close to the noodle then airbrush and thats me .Its fun to read all your different ways.The more I read the more I think maybe I used have tried a book or pattern at some point and saved a lot of time
Diane xxxx

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania
duff wrote:

Oh so many ideas!      Great discussion, although I must admit that on my first attempt with a larger bear, I wish this thread had been started about two weeks ago, I have failed.       Did not trim the muzzle of my newest creation and then had a slip or two...   One head gone awry!    I have taken the head off, I am now starting over!    I think I will go with lightly shaping/ trimming (now that I have an extra head to play with  bear_angry ) the head 1st.      Thanks to everyone for the overview of how you start the head!   And to think the nose was probably the best nose I have ever done   :cry:

You are having trouble with bigger bears, I am having trouble with minis...  :hug:

duff Deedle Bears
Dallas

Hi Kim!      How Ironic is that?    What are you working in now?  What types of problems are you having?   

I suppose I should admit that I also have problems with the arms   bear_cry     They too have been taken off and down sized a bit.   Apparently one should better gauge the arm size when using fluffy fur, the poor bear looked like a linebacker!   I apffectionatly called him Mr. No-Neck...  poor guy  bear_sad    But the good news is I have just finished two new arms and a head.   So I am off to stuff the head and arms.  Wish me luck on my second round!   This time I also trimmed a bit before I did the sewing, very pleased so far!      Such good advice here!!!  Thank you thank you thank you!

Duff

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh Don't worry, Duff--I've got a whole drawer full of first-try body parts and heads. I can't wait to see the finished bear!!

I'm having no trouble with yours (yet), but the other bear I started at the same time is giving me fits! I cut off her first muzzle and substituted an 'inserted muzzle', a new technique for me. Live and learn.

Eileen

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Eilene...Clever gal you are...Winney

beartoes Hannabears
Texas

This is really interesting, I would never have thought about completely finishing a head, face and all, before doing the body, but in many ways it makes sense.  I do mine pretty much like Terrie's method, and I do trim the fur in the seam allowances and just enough off the muzzle to allow easier stitching prior to sewing the bear together.  When I'm ready to work on the face, I trim the fur before, during and after needle sculpting, embroidering the nose, setting the eyes, and shading.  I use the old scissor-and-comb method (finer-toothed end of the comb gives slightly shorter cut, etc).  I'm always paranoid that I'll take off more than I want to, the phrase "this bear's hair will never grow out if you cut it too short" keeps going through my mind.  (sigh) That's just one of the reasons why it takes me so long to complete each bear.

Karen Cwayna ~ Hannabears

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh  Not really, Winney! Just very experienced at moving on to Plan B's. And Cs. And Zs.  bear_whistle

Eileen

Lisa<3 Posts: 1
beartoes wrote:

This is really interesting, I would never have thought about completely finishing a head, face and all, before doing the body, but in many ways it makes sense.  I do mine pretty much like Terrie's method, and I do trim the fur in the seam allowances and just enough off the muzzle to allow easier stitching prior to sewing the bear together.  When I'm ready to work on the face, I trim the fur before, during and after needle sculpting, embroidering the nose, setting the eyes, and shading.  I use the old scissor-and-comb method (finer-toothed end of the comb gives slightly shorter cut, etc).  I'm always paranoid that I'll take off more than I want to, the phrase "this bear's hair will never grow out if you cut it too short" keeps going through my mind.  (sigh) That's just one of the reasons why it takes me so long to complete each bear.

Karen Cwayna ~ Hannabears

I am new here and to making teddy's but have clipped one to short near the eyes and he suddenly need eye brows - necessity the mother of invention. He's cute now, where before I was scratching my head to find something to make that face cuter and then that happened and he sat for a day or two with my staring at him. Poof and I laughed the whole time as I sewed the on. Hope this is helpful to someone. =o)

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Welcome to Teddy Talk, Lisa! I know we'd enjoy seeing pictures of your bear with eyebrows if you feel like sharing.  bear_original

Becky

Board footer