Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

JulieK Suffolk

Hi all,

I was wondering how different does a design/pattern have to be before it is your own?

Most bear patterns I have come across are made from relatively standard shapes in differing proportions. I have been using some patterns out of a book, but changing the fabric, eyes and paw styles. I would also like to play around with some colouring around the features of the faces and my paws later on. Do these changes mean it is now my own design, even if it evolved out of someone else's pattern originally?

Julie

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hello, Julie!  Have you looked in our library section?  It has lots of suggestions on how to make your own patterns.  The link is near the top of the home page - click on the button and scroll down to the category of "Patterns" and there will be a list of threads that you might find informative.  Good luck.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Hi Julie,
Interesting question! Like you, I started by using patterns from books, then I started to make minor and (later) major changes to those patterns. After several months of that, I had an idea for a bear in my head and simply drew the pattern freehand. When that bear came out well, I was pleased, of course, but I also felt like it was the first bear I'd made that was really "mine."
The other personalizations that you mention are also important parts of what give a bear your unique look and style, but for me, it wasn't really my design until I had created the pattern myself from scratch.
Becky

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I agree Becky, I think a pattern is only truly yours when you draw it from scratch.

omquigley Posts: 1

Hi, I’m looking for a pattern for a Koala Bear Pattern I’m having a hard time finding one, and my daughter would like me to make her one.

Melani Moore Posts: 2

I heard somewhere that a rule of thumb for artists is that if you are adapting someone else’ work, you need to change it 70%. 

Also, I took a design workshop from Ted Menten before he retired.  In it he gave us 2 sample patterns & told us to choose one & make a change to every pattern piece. 

Hope this helps.

Melani Moore Posts: 2

Re the koala bear

Check out Australian bear artists like Kympatti Bears & Nam Dinar.  Both have koala patterns for sale.

Board footer