Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I know there is a tutorial on Edinburgh but they have been down all day long.
What my question is...I remember reading if you want the joints to be real wobbly ....
use a different size joint  in the body than you do in the limb ....I  just can't remember which one is smaller and which one is bigger...can you ? Winney

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Really?  I've never heard of doing it that way.  The way I learned is to link two cotter pins together at the loops and put them into the disks the normal way.  If you don't want the loops to show on the finished piece, you can try to leave both loops inside of one part and only let the 'legs' of the pin stick out of the part, maybe using a longer cotter pin on the side that it sticks out of.  Are you completely confused now? :rolleyes::D

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Winney & Laure,

I have just made my first wobble joint, only in the neck, but I love it!! :D

So I'm not an expert, but this is what I did, with some substantial help from Nancy's book.

Link the 2 cotter pins, insert one with washer into head disk sized to opening, turn legs of pin to lock, insert into head, gather and close head fur over joint.

Ditto for the body joint, but use smaller disk. The reason for the smaller disk in the body is that it allows the head to wobble more. If the disks were of equal size, the head could turn, but couldn't slouch as much.

Eileen

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Thanks Eileen,
I didn't know about the differant size disc idea..but it really does stand to reason!

I'm usually sitting so standing to reason doesn't happen all that often over here.

Dilu

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Eileen
               Most of my little ones have wobble joints and Your way is my way too,i could not have described it better myself.  Hugs from a sunny Scotland.  Rita xxxx

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I also use the cotter pin link to make a wobble joint.  Works like a charm!
Skipper%201.jpg
Skipper has a wobble jointed head.

White City, Oregon

Yup....I use cotter pins just like you all say ...so use the smaller discs in the body and the regular sized one in the limbs and head ....Yeah ! Now, I can get on with making my bear...Thank you everyone...as someone once wrote;
Mough ( Kiss ) Is that how its spelled ?.... Winney ( I did spell check..it dosn't have that word ).

huggleybear C.W. Huggley Bears
Statham, GA

Sue Ann,

Skipper is adorable!!!!

White City, Oregon

I love little Skipper too ! He's caught a butterfly ! ....Winney

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Thank you, girls!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Awwwww. Sweet little Skipper. Maybe it's MmmmmmWAH ? :D

Eileen

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Ahhh Sue Ann,

Isn't he just as cute as can be.....actually afyer looking again I'm thinking he's a she....

doesn't matter....the bear is precious

Dilu

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Thans to you all . . . yes, Skipper is a girl!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

So THAT'S why my heads aren't very wobbly!!!! I'd never heard of using a smaller disk inside the body. That just makes waaaaaay too much sense!!! DUH!:rolleyes: I figured it was because I was tightening the cotter pins to tight. (I do think that was PART of my problem!)

Thanks for bringing this up, Winney! (And what's up with Edinburgh... it's been a couple of days now!:( Glad we've got Teddy Talk or I'd be having major withdrawals.... I'd probably get a lot more done on bears though!!)

Hugs, Daphne

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Glad to hear it's not just my puter jacking up on the Edinburgh site. I have just emailed them to ask what's going on...I'm too attched to it to give it the flick! The error message says something about the data base being full...not surprised..we do talk ALOT!!!:D Seriously though:|...there is one heck of a lot of info stored in there somewhere...and there has to be a limit!
Sue Ann...Skipper is way cute! I love your teds..they have such a charm!:cool:

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

I absolutely love skipper! Sue Ann she is toooo cute! Wonderful little Girl!
Hugs Louise

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Fantastic little girl, I just love her...Skipper that is, she is so cute what a lovely expression comes with just wobble jointing her head. I have been wobble joining all my new cubs and I just love the poses that can me set to take photographs. Well done Sue Ann she's lovely.

Jane.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Thanks so much, one and all!!

White City, Oregon

A good idea is when ever you make the head a wobble joint...be sure to hide all your colored  threads; from the eyes or sculpting really well under that neck disc. because they will be easier to see under the looser neck joint...Winney

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

SKIPPER is absolutely wonderful.  Is she a new piece, or an adopted one?  Curious minds want to know...!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh Sue Ann!!!  I just LOVE Skipper!!!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Thanks so much, ladies!!  Skipper is available for adoption on my website . . . she' fairly new.  bear_laugh bear_laugh

Coraleen DallyMay Teddies
Secunda, South Africa

Hi everybody,

I don't know if I'm doing this right as this is my first time on ANY forum but I'm hooked on making teddies.  I just want to find out, can a person used wobble joints in the arms and legs as well as the heads. bear_wacko (The teddies face looks something like mine attempting my first post on Teddy Talk)

Regards
Coraleen

teeeej Brisbane

Yes you can use wobble joints in the limbs. It gives them nice floppy arms and legs.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

And welcome to Teddy Talk, Coraleen!

It's good to have you aboard.  bear_original

Becky

Board footer