Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

Regan got shot.
Russia in Afgahnastan.

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277
Daphne wrote:

Steven Tyler has a summer home here on Lake Sunapee... we've seen him a couple of times. My neighbor goes motorcycle riding with him.

Daphne, can I come live with you during the summer? Pretty Please??  bear_grin

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA
Jare Hares & Bears wrote:

Hello...
Challenger was in '87

Sorry, Jared..... having lived through that event with the family and students and friends of one of the astronauts on board the Challenger, I recall the date quite clearly. And here's a link (one of hundreds) including date, about that accident: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STS-51-L

Too bad Billy Joel didn't include dates with all those events he sang about! (Though the Challenger wasn't one of them.)

sewzanne Raccoon Creek Bears
New Jersey

thanks, all. I remembered Challenger because I was teaching 9th grade Physical Science that year ('85-'86) and I took my students into the classroom next to us so we could watch the TV coverage(as a new teacher, I didn't have the clout to get a TV in my room). I can't think of anything that I feel was significant and under-reported, though- Will have to pick my husband's brain when he gets home(Poli-Sci major!)
          Suzanne

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

I was just sure that was in '87, thanks Daphne

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Hi Suzanne

This is probably too late for your daughter but big things from the 80s - not sure about the under-rated bit but as for major world events - you can't go past the Chernobyl disaster.  So many peoplle think that it affected only those close to it but it has had far reaching consequences and will affect the lives of many generations to come.

AIDS doesn't exactly qualify as an event but it was discovered in the early 80s (83??)

For me, one of the most significant things about the 80s was the nuclear arms/testing debate.  Here in New Zealand, we have a nuclear free stance - that means no nuclear power, no nulear-powered ships being able to visit etc etc.  It caused a huge relationship melt-down politically in US/New    Zealand.  In 1985, a GreenPeace ship preparing to go to protest ongoing nuclear testing in Mururoa atoll, was blown up in Auckland by two French agents.  There were several crew on board and one of them, a photographer, lost his life.  I think it renewed anti-nuclear feeling in New Zealand.    It certainly was key in my highschool education, which began in 86.

sewzanne Raccoon Creek Bears
New Jersey

Thanks, Melissa- Chernobyl might be a good one for her- Like you said, it had far reaching consequences. She might be able to research that a bit. She's working on this til Friday.

Board footer