Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Great ideas, crisw :D

Thanks to Murph too!

Eileen

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

A wonderful glue to use is " Leather Weld "...Mary Daubb prefers it over all other glues when it comes to leather.
I will share more later , I have to hurry , get ready for the bear meeting we are having in Cave Junction...Winney

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Wow! what a wealth of information.  Getting ready to go north to the big teddy bear bash.  More later.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Yes, this thread is a meaty one, chock-full of useful ideas for working with real fur.  Thanks to those of you very knowledgeable sharers who are putting it all on the table.  I am very daunted to take to this one alone, and that fear begins before any tracing or cutting even begins; with the selection of the fur.  You've been an enormous help!

Sadly for me, Chico gets to be about 115 in the summertime, and is a college town and a metropolitan center in the middle of a lot of agricultural land, so it's probably NOT going to be the best place to shop secondhand stores for real fur.

But happily, I am a frequent visitor to the best city on earth -- San Francisco -- and even know some discount and second-hand stores by heart.  So guess where Tim, my husband, gets dragged to next time we go...?  :D

Thanks again...!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Thanks from me too--I'm off to Tandyleather to look for that glue, Winney . . .

Shelli, my sister-in-law in Austin Texas has a full length mink (la-dee-dah) which she only wears at home (politically incorrect) under the air conditioning.  She wore it up here on a visit once, and I swear she never took it off . . .

Eileen

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I just ordered Nancy's book from Borders (should be here in 1-6 wks)...I will have my fur before then!!!  a woman I work with has two members of her family that are furriers!  She also has a good friend that is getting rid of two mink coats and will know shortly if I can have them - for free, of course!!!! I am tickled pink!!!! She told me today that during the summer months, they keep fur coats in "cold storage" - I wonder if I should make a tag on my little buggers (when i make them) that says "Keep in a cool place, next to your mayo!!!"  he he he - sorry I am in a silly TGIF mood!!! bear_laugh:D

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

YAY Crisw!! Thanks!  I knew it started with an 'h' and had 'y' in there somewhere.  Brain overload here:lol:...I used to have two registered llamas....so you'd think I would remember!!!  Maybe it is becuase I have turned 40...and getting senile!!!  JUST KIDDING!!!!!!

I got my scissors  from a store called Bear Street.  They are in California and often they go to the bear shows with supplies.

Pet grooming tools are perfect!  I use them too...after all they are designed for fur.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Judi . . . guess who IS Bear Street???!!!  Our very own Dale!!! 

Eileen, does your sister-in-law love bears?  I'm driving to Austin tomorrow for a bear show on Sunday!  Am sure she won't be out in the Texas summer heat in that coat!!  bear_grin

Jana Posts: 23

I am starting to get things together to make a mouton fur bear.  I know this will be a challenge, however, I am determined to do it, relying on 30 years of sewing experience.  What I have read, but forgotten is how to line the bear.  Do I attach the lining directly to the fur pelt,if so, how do I attach it to the pelt?...or is it separate from the pelt?
Thanks
Jana

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Hi Jana,
I make fur bears and I always cut out the pattern in cotton first.  Then lay it out on the back of the fur and lightly add glue such to adhere just enough to barely hold the cotton ina few places.  Too much glue can dry out the fur.  I use a normal glue stick , other use leather glue.  One the pieces are sewn then the cotton is caught in the seam for a permanent hold.   Good luck with the Mouton - that is a hard fur to work with being soooooo thick.    be sure to share pictures   :photo:

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Laure wrote: I'm curious how to check for fur quality that is suitable for bear making.  Can you give us some guidelines on what to look for, avoid, etc?

Hello Laure: that is good question. If the fur feels dry and with a little tug hairs are in your hand, don't buy it. It is in bad condition. The leather needs to be supple not dry too. If the fur looks shiny and feels good to your hand that is a good sign. Hope this helps....

As for buying furs: Well for those who live in the south, yard sales are great. People moving from the north don't need fur coats anymore. My dad picks up furs for me all the time in Florida.

Also consigement shops are loaded with fur coats. Depending on the part of the country you live in, the price will be different. In Florida, I picked up a mink jacket for $10 a couple of months ago. In Minnesota, it would be priced in the hundreds...

Michelle

Board footer