Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

IMG_0620.JPGHere is a picture of my latest bear. I used 3mm glass eyes that we were talking about in another post. I ordered 10 pairs as I remembered you have to match them up as the sizes are all over the place. I even had to match the domed part as they were different. I also used the wobble neck joint idea using the cotterpins. I have'nt named him yet and I will put him on ebay Sunday. He is just over 3" tall. I could do with altering my pattern so I can get them to 3".

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

He's cute Amanda!!! Love his expression and sweet little feet.

Where did you buy your eyes from? I'm just interested because I don't have much problem matching mine....I usually buy in packs of 10 pairs too, and there is a little discrepency in the diameter so I do watch out for that. But generally I don't have too many problems. I wonder how much of it is just down to luck? (Did you buy the ones with the U-shaped loop?)

bear_thumb bear_flower

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

He is  adorable!! I hope he does really well for you!!

Staffordshire, UK

I had them from v and n bear supplies. What about you? Not that I mind too much as sometimes it then gives you a choice of sizes if you know what I mean. Its only recently I have had to order joints and stuff as I used to buy in bulk (ten years ago) from Oakley fabrics. Things have changed since then as you can now go international because of the internet.

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

I got my last lot of eyes from Admiral bear supplies, and I like them a lot. In fact, I'm going to be stocking up again soon.....  :dance: (I love shopping!)

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Amanda, I think you chose the perfect size....He looks really great.

I am confused about your having to match them up- it sounds like a lot of work

When I order 10 or 50  eyes from Intercal everything matches perfectly, It doesn't seem to matter if they are black German glass or the ones with colored irises- I never even have think about it, just pour the bag into the glass bottle they belong to.

Did you get a mixed lot of fe-bay?  or something like that?

He is really cute

Also, if you want him a little under 3"  but dont want to alter the pattern, just try a slightly larger seam, and then if you need to you can trim up before turning.  Its amazing what a slightly larger or smaller  seam can do for you....

Congrats on a very well done little guy with a great personality

Dilu

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

VERY cute, Amanda!

Staffordshire, UK

Thanks for the advice everyone. It all helps with the minis as you can't get away with things. Everything shows up if you get it wrong.

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Amanda, I love his expression, well done  bear_original

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Hwes a sweetie....I like the Anime type bears...Winney

iamjan Posts: 21

Hi,
  I've just started trying to make the minis. Was not too happy with bead eyes, so ordered the little glass ones with the wire loops--but don't really know how those are supposed to be attached.  When I make big bears they are for kids, so I just use safety eyes--so I'm am really basic--I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with these glass ones.   bear_wacko   Any and all advice is most appreciated.
Thanks,
Janet

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Hi Janet - welcome to TT!  :dance:

To attach the glass eyes I use strong thread (gutermann's buttonhole thread in my case) placed through the loop, and then I crimp the loop with pliers so that it forms a point and holds the thread. I usually double or treble my thread for extra strength. With a large needle, the thread is taken through the head from the position I want the eye to be in, to the lower back of the head. I pull firmly and ease the point of the crimped loop into the material. Then I take half the strands of thread at the exit point and make a small stitch, so that I can tie a double knot to hold the positioned eye in place....keeping tension on the threads so that the eye 'sinks' into the fur. Finally the threads are buried back into the head.

I hope this makes sense! Others will have variations on this and may make other suggestions that you like better - it's a case of having a go and seeing what works for you!

iamjan Posts: 21

Thanks so much.  So is the "small stitch" in a seam?

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

Amanda, your new little guy is really cute! Well done!

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

cute!!

I always think your bears  look like they have been caught just after they've done something really naughty  bear_grin  bear_grin

hope he does well for you!

Board footer