Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

BethBear Posts: 27

Hi All,
I think there has been some discussion on bunnies before so forgive me if I am not reading all of the posts - too many bears ordered.  I have not made rabbits before but I feel that drawing the pattern will not be a problem.  What is a problem is how those of you who make rabbits make the ears stand up if that is wanted.  Could anyone help with some advice?  Many thanks and I know what a wonderful and creative group this is!

Hugs,
BethBear

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I make a wire loop which I sew to the head where I want the ears to go...then slip the ears over the loop and sew on...easy peasy...I do secure the loop to the ear at the top too to stop it wobbling about.

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

If your rabbit isn't going to be gigantic, a chenille stem (or pipe-cleaner, whatever it's called) will work just fine.  I usually form a loop with one or two depending on the size, so that it slips inside from the bottom and reaches all the way around inside.  If I'm worried about it slipping, I'll keep it in place with a couple of stitches here and there.  If your ear is too big or too heavy for the chenille stems, upgrade to a coated wire or something similar, though as the wire gets bigger you'll have to worry more about padding it with something so there isn't a noticeable lump.

Hope this helps!
Kelly

Board footer